Career/qualification path - what do you think?? Crit please.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mickey123, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Mickey123

Mickey123 New Member

Hey there,

I am 32 and in a very steady career, well paid blah blah blah, but IT is where Ive always wanted to be.

So I have hatched a buisness plan that will hopefully lead me into my own business along the lines of a consultant one day, but first things first, I need to get myself well qualified as a Technitian.

I know this will require much hard work and study etc etc.

I have bult PCs for years and years and upgraded and fixed friends often so I have a strong passion for IT especially networking.

Unfortunaly, I have no qualifications at all and this won't wear well with potential customers/employers.

To start with I intend to get the A+ and then go onto the N+ and then the MCDST.

Does everyone else agree with the qualifications I have choosen for now?
    IE A+ N+ MCDST.

With these will I be a fully qualified and certified technitian (not consultant I know but a big step towards) if the eyes of the IT world??

Is there anything I could do better bearing in mind I am leading towards one day doing my MSCA or MSCE?

Thanks

Mickey :biggrin

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

for now you have a good plan.. a+ first then n+ and finally MCDST. Its good you thinking ahead but considering how much time you will spend studying each day those will take a while. It also depends on how much you know already. There are a few guys who have spent 3 years getting MCSE certified - i for one am working on MCSA since September 2005. I have done 2 exams to date - not because i dont study but because you have to learn. No rush to get certified - just want to do things properly. And i think you should to, visit www.comptia.org and look at the objectives for the A+ and N+ and take one step at a time.

good luck and hang around the forums as you will have plenty of help for when you need it! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It looks like a good plan to me too. Take it easy and get a good grounding in A+ and N+ first. I'd suggest to check out the A+ forum and especially the pinned threads at the top as they contain a lot of information for getting started.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'll agree with what's already been said. The A+ / N+ & MCDST will give you an excellent all round grounding in what being a technician is all about. Oh and welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard. A+, N+ MCDST will give you a great foundation for an IT role. Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Mickey123

Mickey123 New Member

Thanks everyone.

Now I know im doing the right thing.

I know it will all take time but thats no prob. Rome wasnt built in a day and good things come to those that wait and all that... :blink

Thanks again

Mickey

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You're definately taking the right approach. One thing I will say though is that if you are looking to be self employed then Certs are not a necessity. You could start a business up right now if you felt comfortable with what you were doing.

What the certs will give you is an industry recognised accreditation that will help to show future clients that you know what you are talking about.

8)

8. Mickey123

Mickey123 New Member

Oh I don't know about that. Try getting a corperate contract without any Qualls.

You'd be very lucky