Cant fit songs on one CD

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Dec 22, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Guys I am stuck here...i am trying to make an audio CD but the problem is all the songs take up more than 80 min of the required time of an audio CD...i dont know if the person who wants them has MP3 CD player in their car...could be just a standard audio CD player...I am making two CDs both of which have more than 20 songs (one has 22 and the other has 21) one is 82min long and the other is 84min long...I need to get these done asap...so does anyone know of a way to get these songs onto the CD? Oh and dont suggest removing some of the songs cos this person asked for these songs...thanks guys :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I have tried what I can but looks like I need to buy 800MB 90Min CDs for this job...its the only way to do it...

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Without compressing the songs using MP3 or some other compression utility you are not going to get that many songs on a CD Noel.

Typically a normal 5 minute song takes up about 40MB, so if you are using a standard 640MB CDR you can only fit approx 16 songs on a CD.

You can of course get CD's nowadays that can store 700 or even 800MB (approx 20 songs) but there is still that limitation.

Can you ask him if he is knows whether his car CD player is MP3 compatible? You will probably get the answer what the?

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I do have 700MB CDs and I have a program that allows me to compress the audio so instead of being about 8MB per song they can be reduced to half that. I have tried that already and using Nero to do this it says the disc is too small. basically even though its counting using the length of the songs when it adds up the size it comes to about 720MB...therefore I need 800MB discs but I will ask 'her' if her car plays MP3 CDs aswell as audio CDs...

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Being a bit of an audiophile myself I am not a great fan of audio compression algorithms, compression makes the music sound less real to me. You can liken an MP3 to a JPeg picture. A JPeg is fine for the Internet but there is a loss of quality and good music should be played with the highest quality possible.

Unfortunately CDs frequency response of 20hz to 20Khz is not considered HiFi to me. I still prefer the sound of vinyl on a decent deck played through a quality HiFi system.

MP3s are not in the same league but they have their place as you know.

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I hear you mate...you have a point there..

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

has the possibility of using a third CD escaped you noel? i mean wtf? talk about simple solution

and dont give me that 'well they only want two, or 'they are only paying for two' a cd is like 20p, throw the extras on the other CD and stop advertising the fact your giving people CDs of copyrighted music

ding

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Phoenix to be fair Noel has not said what this music is, I would have to assume it is not copyrighted or he wouldn't be doing it. Would you Noel?

:rolleyes:

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

if you are putting it onto the cd as an audio cd, i think you can compress the songs to your hearts content, it wont make a difference. The way the audio CD format works is based on the length of the song, not how much space it takes up. Your only real option would be to use those 90 minute cds, or burn to a third disc.

Phoenix: to be fair it may not be illegal. I dont believe it is illegal for you to make a backup/compilation of songs for your own personal use from CD's you already own. So if Noels friend handed him a pile of CD's and a list to make up the CD for him, it wouldnt be illegal - provided of course, no copies were taken for anyone other than the owner of the CD's.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

overburn the cd?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If these are audio CDs (AKA Red Book) then compression won't help, as the format requires a 'WAV' like system for recording.

You *could* try CDs rated for more than 80Mins, but you need to be sure that your burner will burn them - very few will. Several Plextor drives, among a limited list of others will do 90 min CDs.

You will also need to use Nero or similar that will do overburning.

However - if you *do* manage to burn 90 Min CDs there is no certainty that they will play on a standard player.

One way of getting the play time down is to mix the ends of the tracks together so they overlap - but this may not be acceptable to the person receiving them!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Phoenix- What fergal said

Omni and Harry- already tried the Overburn feature in Nero. doesnt work cos once it collates the songs it then says there is not enought space on the disc...basically as an audio CD the songs take up 721MB of discs space and I only have 700MB discs...so 800MB is the option..but your right tho Harry perhaps 90min CDs wont work in normal CD players...dont worry leave it with me I will sort it but thank you all so far...:D

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeah, i have tried playing around with this exact situation before. The conclusion i came to was what Harry has already said. Only certain players will recognise/burn to 90min disc's.....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Noel, that's a cheap cop-out from some perfectly valid points Phoenix raises. Why not use a 3rd disk ?You'd rather put yourself through all this, and still risk a) compromising quality and b) having the disks not play on your friend's player (liked they'd trust you again if that happened) ?

I won't even mention the copyright issue - there's not much point really, is there ? :wink:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

its all ok guys...I spoke to the person and she asked for a couple of songs to be taken off...so we can relax and whatever...but thanks anyway...all sorted now...

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Oh and Jak the only reason I said what Fergal was cos I was in a rush earlier today...

17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

No problem, mate. This forum is meant for discussion after all. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT