can someone offer me guidance

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by fiddy, Apr 25, 2007.

1. fiddy

fiddy New Member

hi all,im sitting here pondering over which path to take and i decided to post here to save my pondering and maybe get some other opinions

here is my situation i started my a+ at college last september while i was out of work,ive never worked for an employer in an it based position

by november a guy on the same course offered me a job at his place in the it department looking after 70 desktops,server,few laser printers,so i took the offer up straight away

anyway last week i was given the opportunity to take a+ hardware exam early which i passed and this week i take the os
    im also doing ccna and i passed ccna 1 so now im doing ccna 2

my intention at the beginning of all this was to pass a+ and cisco then look for a network position but now im working in a server/exchange server environment im having to learn things on the job which is all well and good but i just feel that i need more knowledge in the server side of my position

so my predicament really is which way do i go with studies,is mcsa too soon for me,shall i go for server + and security + and still do my ccna

i just dont know so im hoping you guys will share your wisdom with me and offer some pros and cons to me

sorry if ive bored everyone
    thanks in advance

Certifications: a+,n+,ccna
    WIP: Mcdst
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

First of all finish up the A+! Then since you have started the CCNA consider maybe finishing this up.. You very lucky to be given a chance like this - i would actually kill to be placed in a server/exchange and taught from the ground up. If you dont fancy finishing the CCNA off then i would head straight to MCSE 2003 starting off with a client exam like 70-270. Like i said you lucky to be in that position so make the post of it and learn as much as you can!

Good luck with the OS exam and your future certs! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Yeah.... a solid years working experience + MCSE = never out of work or low paid again.

Sort that out, then review where you want to go after you laid your foundations.

Don't get lazy like me though, keep up with your certs or you may get side lined :eek:

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

:ohmy Who told you that? Just coz you have a cert and some experience doesn't mean that you will never be out of work and earning mega bucks.

5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

SGUK is right on that one, no matter what experience or certs you've got, its not always easy to just walk into jobs. My previous colleage left thinking it would be easy with his MCSE and near on 2 years experience, it took him a while to find a decent paid job....

Of course you always have an upper hand but its never a sure thing :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A year? Takes longer than that to build up enough experience to have a virtual sense of employment security, my friend...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Well at least 2 years but hey....

I don't think your are going to be long term unemployed and or on minimum wage.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK