Can I turn a laptop into a server?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Not sure if this is a stupid question, I'm just not sure where to start really... Basically I want to know if I installed windows server 2012 onto a laptop.. would this work and would I be able to run it as an actual server? I require the ability to use a server for some small tasks I'm doing I need to test a few things out but honestly just don't have the knowledge or experience but once I know this can be done I can then go ahead and start researching how to implement this but some general guidance would be much appreciated.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Sure you can, don't even need to install it, install it in a vm on the laptop.

Kitkatninja likes this.
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

+1 for dmarsh's suggestion

failing the VM solution - nothing to stop you installing it physically on the machine itself

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    Kitkatninja likes this.
  4. jasonmat

jasonmat New Member

All you need is a just a powerful laptop. I have set up multiple virtual machines with various operating systems installed on my Dell laptop (i7 CPU & 8G DDR3).