1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn a laptop into a server?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Top Poster
    of the Month

Not sure if this is a stupid question, I'm just not sure where to start really... Basically I want to know if I installed windows server 2012 onto a laptop.. would this work and would I be able to run it as an actual server? I require the ability to use a server for some small tasks I'm doing I need to test a few things out but honestly just don't have the knowledge or experience but once I know this can be done I can then go ahead and start researching how to implement this but some general guidance would be much appreciated.

Certifications: MTA Windows Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation, Apple Mac Integration 10.12
    WIP: MTA Networking Fundamentals
  2. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

Sure you can, don't even need to install it, install it in a vm on the laptop.

Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
    wagnerk likes this.
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

+1 for dmarsh's suggestion

failing the VM solution - nothing to stop you installing it physically on the machine itself

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    wagnerk likes this.
  4. jasonmat

jasonmat New Member

All you need is a just a powerful laptop. I have set up multiple virtual machines with various operating systems installed on my Dell laptop (i7 CPU & 8G DDR3).