Can i try active directory in XP?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Deano, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Deano

Deano Bit Poster

Hey all,

I currently run WinXP Pro on my macbook and wonder if there is anyway to gain experience with basic use of Active Directory or will i have to have a version of Windows server for this?

Kind regards,

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+ then N+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not in a stand alone XP box. Active directory becomes accessible when you have a DC (domain controller) on your network. Hence you need a Windows *Server* product, to promote to a DC.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Deano

Deano Bit Poster

Cheers for the quick reply, guess ill have to dualboot my old dell laptop with server for a bit of fun... should keep me busy over the weekend at least! :biggrin

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yeah and you might want to consider using some free VM software, like VMware or Microsoft's Virtual PC, so you can play with multiple operating systems networked on a single host (your laptop).

have FUN!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Deano

Deano Bit Poster

Cheers,
    I have just installed Server 2003 through VMware and updated it all and started to tinker in AD. cheers for all the advice. :D (+rep)

just one more question now.

Is it possible in Server 2003 (VMware) to add Windows XP machine (VMwares host) to the network (to promote to a DC)?

i hope that makes sense, its a little confusing!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

As far as I am aware, you can't do this. As far as any operating system that runs on VMware is concerned, it doesn't realise that it's actually living inside another operating system - i.e your XP host, so, no you can't add the machine that is running the virtual OPs.

You can, however, create another client OP in VMware and add that to your virtual Server.

The more virtual machines you create though, the more memory on the VMware host you'll need to keep them all running smoothly.

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, XP machines can't act as Domain Controllers, only the MS Server OS (and that depends on whether it's full blown server or web edition because the web edition can't be made a DC either).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Bloody hell, in 2.5 hours you managed to get that licensed software pretty quick, and also manage to install VMWare + Server 2K3 and have a play! :eek:

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Why not? I can do it because I have a technet subscription so theres nothing saying he doesn't either. I can have a fully installed environment up in about an hour, as far as downloads go recently Vista Home edition (3gb) came down in about 25 minutes.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Yup....... but you didn't have an initial query regarding AD in XP and could do this blindfolded! I think this would have taken me 5/6 hours to setup when i first got my hands on the kit assuming i had all software to hand!

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's possible to promote a stand-alone Windows 2003 (standard or above) server to become a DC within the virtual environment and then work on AD on the XP machine once you install the Admin Pack on it.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Deano

Deano Bit Poster

lol, on my home PC i just get stuck in and install the stuff.

VMware - https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=view4&lp=1 (60 day trial)
    Server 2003 - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/trial/installinstruct.mspx?lc=1033
    took about 30mins to download server, by which time VMware was up and running.
    then took about an hour and 30mins to install server 2003 + ubuntu (wanted to check out the new version).
    All done while playing just cause 2 on the xbox :)

Running out of space however, (only had 25gb and already have 4 operating systems xp Pro + xp Pro/server 2003/ubuntu in vmware) so plan is for today wipe the HDD, re-install windows 7 Pro on that particion, and use ubuntu/server/xp pro on my Mac particion with vm fusion... should take about 3 hours if im lucky.

20meg Virgin Fiberoptic broadband rocks :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  13. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Best way to learn is by getting stuck in! Have fun!