Calling all SkillsTrain students

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by darrenecm, Feb 7, 2006.

1. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

This is mainly a call to those who are doing the same Skillstrain course as I am (CompTIA A+ N+) but I guess any Skillstrain student can respond regardless of your chosen course.

You may have all noticed that there's been change in how you send in your Tutor Marked Assignments now. You can no longer send them in via email but must go through the "Student Web" website.

One thing I find very poor about the Student Web is the lack of any forum where current students can chat. The last distance learning course I did had an excellent web presence (although the courses they offered were quite limited) and it was free too. I'll be contacting Skillstrain to see if they can put up a student forum area but in the meantime I myself am happy to give out my Hotmail address (which is also my MSN Messenger contact name) for any Skillstrain studfents out there who want to get in touch. If Skillstrain won't bother setting up a forum I'll see about creating a dedicated Skillstrain forum using an old PC I have here that can act as a webserver if enough people respond.

Of course this doesn't mean you should all abandon CertForums (as if you would). You should keep this great site at the top of your Favourites list as your first stop for help and information :)

My Hotmail address is [email protected]. Just use this same address to contact me via MSN Messenger too. I have MSN on fairly often throughout the day (except when I'm chilling out with the latest PC game) :)

WIP: A+, N+
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Mutiny eh?

:speechles

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

darrenecm. I've been reviewing your posts (actually, a number of the staff have as well) and I notice that you seem to be very single minded in your content. While it is not uncommon for the subject of training vendors to come up, most members post on a variety of subjects including what they are actually studying.

I would encourage you to make wider use of our discussion boards. You are free to post on subjects you are studying such as the A+ and Network+, ask questions about cert exams...heck, you can even tell a joke in the "Just for Laughs" forum. So far it seems as if you are on some particular mission or crusade relative to your training provider. I'm sure we'd get to know you better if you were more varied in your subject matter. Thank you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

No crusade in operation here. I'm not out to damage my training provider as I've said in one of my posts I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and sticking with them.

As for my content being single minded, well it would look that way because I'm replying to posts by other people on subjects they have started which I've had experience with and have immediate thoughts on.

The only thread I believe I've started myself is simply this one about gathering together others who are doing the same course with Skillstrain because, unlike other distance-based learning companies I've used, Skillstrain do not have any method of students chatting with each other (as you would in a classroom). Contact with other students is helpful and can enhance the efforts of the tutors by allowing each other to help out on topics and I simply noted that there were numerous threads and posts from people who are currently using Skillstrain. Otherwise the only way I'll get to meet anyone else on the course will be when we meet up for the practicals.

I'm just at the start of the course and have not hit any problems yet. Though I am a bit rusty on some areas of Networking so when I get to this part of the course I'll no doubt be asking lots of questions specific to N+ on these forums :)

WIP: A+, N+