C$ in Vista from an XP machine

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hi guys, I've got two machines on my network at present. A sparkly new Vista machine, and an XP laptop (hooked up via wireless).

Both machines can see each other, and i can connect to the xp c$ share from vista without issue. However, from XP things are a little different:

As usual, i get the username/password prompt when trying to connect. I've tried entering any number of combinations i can think of for my username:

fergal.reilly
    Desktop\fergal.reilly
    .\fergal.reilly

but it just comes right back asking for the details again.

I figured it might be something to do with the Remote Desktop settings, which were blocking all connections, so its been set to allow all connections, but no joy.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Fergal1982

UPDATE: It appears that if i put in fergal.reilly it comes back with DESKTOP\fergal.reilly - so its recognising the username, its just the password its not liking, yet i know the password is correct.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  3. Fergal1982

Nuts! how crap is that? theres no way to re-enable it manually? absolute rubbish.

4. Fergal1982

Hmm. I found This which seems to work - although it looks like it opens them to anyone, since my xp machine is able to open the share, even if i change the vista password.

i think i will need some more work with this, to see whats happening.

Edit: I feel schizophrenic here.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Interesting, let us know what you dig up Ferg :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)