BT Home Hub will not connect

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Sure Shot, May 27, 2007.

1. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with a friend who has just upgraded to a bt home hub from the bt voyager 205.

I have installed a few of these in the past with no problem. Upon installing the hub, with the installation cd, all was going well. All the right lights on the hub were lit and I can confirm that the lan connection was connected. However, I just can't get a webpage or even sign in to the bt yahoo logon screen. You don't have to log in but I thought I would just mention it.

Called BT who went through the usual process of having me run cmd, ping the router, reset the ip settings etc etc... but to no avail. They insist it is in an issue with the pc.

I have disabled all security (anti v, firewall) as they asked but still no joy.

They had me start up in safe mode with networking where I could connect and surf away. While connected they had me download firefox and restart normally. Still no joy using a different browser.

Deciding to revert back to the voyager router I now find that I still have the same problem. I have uninstalled the Home hub software to be sure there was no confliction too.

I think this is as much as I can tell you though feel free to ask for more info.

Thanks in advance

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Am i corrrect in assuMING you're using XP?
    whats your ip address?
    do you have the the latest updates of XP?

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If you can connect to t'internet in safe mode that means two things; 1) there is nothing wrong with the broadband connection 2) there must be something running (or not) when the system is started "normally".

Have you checked your friends system for spyware?

When the system is started normally, can you ping the hub and a website by IP?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Yeah I'm using xp

No spyware that i'm aware of, the system was running fine on the voyager 30 mins before I installed the hub.

I believe the system is up to date. Only 1 came through while I was on it and that was the WGA update.

I can ping the hub 192.168.1.254 and the site yahoo.com in both safe and normal.

I can't remember the workstations ip address at the mo, i'm away from the computer in question.

Thanks

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Does your network card show all OK in device manager?

Are you using IE7?

You say you can ping the hub - 192.168.1.254
    What happens when you enter http://bthomehub.home/ in the browser bar?

I found an article which you might want to take a look at.

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehub.html

Other than the TV bit, (the security thing is not out yet according to the article) it doesn't do anything that a "normal" unit can do without all the software to bloat the system out.

Boyce

6. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Thanks Boyce

The Nic is showing fine in device manager.

I'm using IE6 and have also tried with Firefox.

When I ping the hub I get 4 replies, I haven't tried entering the address you have given in the browser bar yet although I have tried entering the address of the hub to gain access to it but still no joy.

Thanks for the link by the way, I'll see if it works. I am I right in thinking that it probably won't? or if it does would this indicate a DNS problem as I can't access the hub through entering its ip address?

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

If you can ping the hub, try the address and if the default logon hasn't been changed type "admin" and "admin" to get in. If you can open the config page, have a nose around and let us know if it displays a Public IP and if there is anything connected locally - i assume you are using DHCP....

Boyce

8. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Ok mate, I'll be back on it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help, i'll let you know the outcome.

Sean

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would check the TCP/IP settings for static IP or (more likely) DNS settings. I would also check for proxy settings on the browser (FF generally picks these settings up from IE when installing, so it would pick up the same thing if that was the issue.

I had a Home Hub, that I had hooked up as a WAP (since I was using a netgear as my router). In the end i ditched it as I had to reboot the thingalmost every single day in order for my laptop to get a connection to it. My mum also got one of these, and couldnt even connect to the router, either via wireless or wired. In the end she got them to send her another one (its always difficult since they hate admitting its a fault with their hardware).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

had to help my dad out recently as he went from a 205 to a home hub.

Had similar problems until I noticed the TCP/IP protocol wasn't installed for the wireless network adapter - had to add it manually - worked fine after that (restart needed :)).

Just something you could check. That was on a Win 98 PC though.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  11. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

I arrived at said friends house this morning to find his pc online working with the voyager. BT had called him back after instructing him to switch the voyager off for a few hours while they "reset".

While on the call they took control of his pc remotely and from what I can gather ran a few command lines and reinstalled the home hub software. His voyager started working again and he was told he could plug his home hub back in and all would be fine. He waited for me to do that and when I did this morning, behold, it was working a treat.

Wished I was there to see what they did!

As far as i know all IP settings were set to automatic.

All advice taken onboard anyway, much appreciated.

On another subject.. Could anyone just confirm to me that I can use a netgear wireless router as an access point for my 360 to connect with my Belkin wireless router? If so are there any configuration issues I need to address to in the belkin admin to make this happen or does it just work?

Thanks guys