1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a Keyboard (synth)...oh err!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by drum_dude, Apr 4, 2010.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well after the hugely succesful sale on ebay of the drum stuff - would have probably got a little more had I'd not told so many people to feck off...oh well - I decided to do a Buy it Now on a Roland Fantom X8 keyboard! It has 88 keys and they are proper weighted too like a piano which is good! These semi weighted things like my m-audio just do not have that 'feel' if you know what I mean!

The Fantom X is a previous generation model but still a powerful synth! The latest and greatest is the Fantom G8 which is around £2600 which is a bit too pricey for a newbie like me! Also, my tutor advised to always go the next generation down in Keys as normally the bugs and problems have been sorted! Anyway, it's a flippin great looking bit of kit and I can't wait until I collect it! Link is here: http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=589

I have missed out on 5 Fantom X8s over the past 3 weeks as I always tried to bid to win! The X8 last night was posted up at £100 with £900 BIN..£900 is the average figure that they've been going for on fleabay. The auction was a 7 dayer and within an hour the bids were up to approx £750...I put my max to £800 and was outbidded pretty much in minutes! So I thought fvck it...the dude is up the road from me so I'll do a BIN!

I'm so excited! (learning that tune too)

:biggrin

Certifications: MCSA , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS
    WIP: MCITP 2008 Ent Admin, Server Admin, Exchange 2010, Lync 2010, CCNA & VCP5
  2. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

Cool beans mate. I wish I had a musical bone in my body.

My daughter plays the clarinet but has really stopped as she's lost interest. she made grade 4 and all.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Nice. I was actually looking for a last generation keyboard from the so called Big three on ebay. Kind of a toss up between X6 or Motif ES6...but I'm a sucker for the colour screen on the Fantom :D . I would like the X8 with proper weighted keys but don't have enough space for one.
    In a ideal world I would get the new Fantom or Motif (both looks wow to me) but the price tag on it just makes my eyes water. I can't justify paying that much when I'm stuggling to find time and energy to play :biggrin

4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I've got an M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro controller... Had it for ages, still find new cool things/uses with it (when I have time to spend on it anyway). I agree it doesnt have the true piano feeling, but it's still good for the price. Depends what you want to do with it really though :p

Cool buy :)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. drum_dude

Cheers reverb. The X6s are going for about £500 to £600...not sure about the Motifs as I haven't seen any up for grabs.

Well i fancied the new Motif XS or the Fantom G but prices as you say are just too high! Also Roland are phasing out the Fantom G7 due to poor sales?? Kind of odd that really as the G7/X7 are quite ideal for gigging!

The other problem is that the Motif XS as been out for ages, however, support is good! But there is a lot of complaints about the Fantom G series about bugs, poor quality patches, lack of firmware upgrades and a total lack of expansion cards! Whereas the X has about 12 SRX cards out there and is meant to have better sounding patches than the G series.

I pick up the Fantom X on Friday! :biggrin

6. drum_dude

Cheers

Well mine is the cheap m-audio Oxygen 61...so I have this issue called 'running out of keys' at the moment! LOL but it's done me well!

I'm hoping to eventually gig with the Fantom , but I want that weighted piano like key action in order to save my fingers and wrists! A few hours on semi-weighted keys don't half mak my fingers ache!!!

7. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

That's a nice keyboard, the high end of controller kb. I had a controller keyboard but I sold it because I couldn't be bothered with the computer setup....I found that I wanted something I could turn on and play in a instant. Well I actually have a sort of hybrid digital piano/controller now for this purpose :D

What do you use for your sounds then?

Yeah I see a few X6s, not many Motifs on ebay.
    Phasing out X7? never knew that. I suppose newer is not always better :) You are running out of keys? :D You must be good! I don't think I'm even that good enough to use up 37 keys lol.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Reason primarily, Cubase ("The Grand" for piano samples), Kontakt, AbletonLive, Sonar, FL Mad/Fast Tracker :) Whatever I can really.

You can turn this on and play it in an instant! ..just can't take it anywhere without taking my rig. Not prepared to pay stupid amounts for a mac either before anybody suggests!

I've also got a Creative Prodi Keys for stabs and beats, very useful and 'compact', got it for £20 aswell brand new from dawsons.. bargain!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)