Boson NetSim for CCNA 7.0 for N+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by MrNerdy, Apr 2, 2008.

1. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

OK, i know a few people work for the company, but was after some advice on Boson NetSim for CCNA 7.0.
    I'm planning to self study up to September & then either take the N+ exam or do a shortcourse in Network+.
    Would Boson NetSim for CCNA 7.0 enable me to practice running a virtual network? Or do i need to use something else?
    Thought this would be a cheaper optition than buying a couple of routers & cables etc & another pc to practice on.
    Any advice would be most welcome.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

You'll probably hear that buying real devices is better, and overall that would be right. Interacting with real equipment will give a better experience.

However, using Netsims especially for the CCENT and CCNA, is an alternative and definately cheaper. As well it's a lot more mobile to lug around a laptop as opposed to a few routers and switches. :) I'll also mention that renting rack time is another option to do labs.

I can't speak to Boson's NetSim, but if the quality is anywhere close to the ExSim, you should be good.
    I'm sure Boson folks will have more insight to offer.

Edit: I thought you were going for the CCNA. Totally missed that second line. :blink

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For the CCNA and CCNP, it's great. But for Network+... well, the Network+ is vendor-neutral. In truth, NetSim is designed to help you learn to configure a Cisco router, not just learn networking. So, to be honest, unless you were studying for the Cisco exams as well, I don't think it'd be terribly relevant to the Network+ exam as a whole.

Certainly you CAN set up a simulated network with NetSim... but you don't have to know how to configure Cisco routers for the Network+ exam, so the learning curve would be pretty steep for a Network+ candidate.

Considering the cost of NetSim, it might be cheaper to get a couple of cheapie computers, a cheapie switch, and a cheapie router.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I would agree with Michael here. The NetSim is geared towards helping you prepare for the CCNA exam and is, thusly, designed to help you learn to configure Cisco routers, not general networking concepts.

5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Thanks for that.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+