books

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Tecx, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi
    Has anyone used any good books to help with this course.

Certifications: CLAIT,ECDL
    WIP: CIW WEBMASTER
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They can be a bit hard to find in the UK. An amazon search will pull up a couple. You can get the official manuals from www.computerprep.com but a full set is extremely expensive (especially including postage from the USA). They are good though.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sorry Tecx CIW is something i haven't looked into. I am sure other will be along soon who can advise you. I know Johnnymx does :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi
    Thank you jonnymx for your help but really i'm after tiltes of good books that could help me though this course, Also a book on how to design your own website.
    I have been looking at all the books and reviews on diffrent websites but i don't know which one to chosse.
    I have never desined my own website before so i would like to get started designing one while i am doing the course.

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I found this to be a good book when I tried to learn web design.

8)

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I liked this

When I started out, I also got the 'Idiot's guide to creating a web page'. I really don't normally like the 'idiots' and 'dummies' books, but I have to admit that I still pick this one up every now and then when I've forgotten how to do something simple!

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

There is an online service called Safari that allows you to read IT books before you buy them. You can subscribe through sites like o'reilly.com and informit.com. Prices start out at $9.99 a month for 5 books at a time and go up to around $30-40 or so. The higher priced plans allow you more books at a time and the ability to download and save specific chapters to your hard drive.

I've been using the entry level service for more than a year and it's well worth the money. They don't have all the books in the world, but you'll get a pretty good selection to choose from.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi jonnymx,
    Did you find this book any good ? (bible)
    I was looking at this book, But i'm not going to buy a book that only covers one part of the course for 50.00.
    I need either a set of books that cover the whole web design manager course or one book that covers the whole course. :rolleyes:

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, I liked it.
    You can get bibles for each section of the CIW course.
    I forget, were you going with a training provider?

CIW is tricky because of the subjects covered. Someone who can sit down and design a stonking website stands about the same chance of passing the exams as someone who can't, so it's no good reading books that only cover web design itself (e.g. learn to use Dreamweaver in a weekend etc). Because you'll get questions on hardware and protocols etc so you need to make sure your books cover this.

The price tags may seem steep, but compare it to some of the courses out there!

10. ffreeloader

I'm curious from this last post of yours, Jonny. Does the CIW include configuring webservers, server OS's, and networking fundamentals then? It kinda sounds that way from what you said above.

11. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi,
    Well i am looking at two lots of books one lot is the bible series
    and the sam teach yourself in 24hrs.
    But i saw a book that looks good it was a visual book on amazon so i may get them later.
    Thank you all for you help on this subject. :cheers

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Master CIW Designer is three elements, Foundation, Site Design and E-commerce design.
    Foundation itself is the interesting one. It covers hardware and protocols. It's not totally in depth, like A+ or whatever, but it teaches you about servers, routers, huds, network topology, and all the other bits that you ought to know in the IT world.
    It covers a little bit of everything...

13. ffreeloader

Thanks. I know curiousity killed the cat, but I'm always curious about everything....

14. Cyber

Cyber New Member

I bought the CIW foundations Book to help with my studys, it covers everything, I am finding it very hard to understand, but that is just me out of depth, its £40.00 any good book store, and make sure you buy the new version

15. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi cyber,
    It's the same for me, I am finding it hard, Plain english would help.
    Thank you for your help with this question i will most probly buy this book.
    This is the book that is made to go with the course is it not?
    It is wriiten by prosofttraining ?

16. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

I have just noticed the book that cyber and i have just discussed is still on the old exam not the new v5 exam.
    Does anyone know wheather they are going to reprint this book

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

CIW is American. Fat chance.

:wink: