Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Rover977, May 17, 2008.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I am currently looking to buy a couple of books (1) on Windows Server 2003, and (2) Active Directory for W2K3, and wonder if anyone has read any of the following and could recommend whether they are a good buy :-

(PS I already have the official Microsoft Training Guides for 70-290/70-291/70-293/70-294, but need some additional information besides this)

(1) Windows Server 2003 :-

Stanek :-
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735620482/ref=ord_cart_shr

Minasi :-
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-W...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211025239&sr=8-1

(2) Active Directory :-

Price :-
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...art_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS: any other suggestions would be welcome also.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The server book by Mark Manasi had good feedbacks so I'd opt for this one if I were you.

On the other hand with regards to active directory that book you listed seems okay, but remember tech net has loads on AD including white papers. I take it with the current 70-290 book you have you can get a fill of what the other books you're interested in are about as they tie in quite well in terms of infrastructure.

The best way to learn and master the basics to intermediate level of AD is to start using and playing around with it. I'd say get virtual pc or vmware workstation and setup a lab and start plugging away. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I think having the Windows Server 2003 "administrator's Pocket Consultant" is a handy thing to have, maybe not for studying but for at a glance look at certain things.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. Chriseast1

Chriseast1 Bit Poster

I have the Mark Manasi mastering 2003 book and I can recommend it. The writing style mankes it much easier to read compared to the MS press books and it goes into things in a good level of detail.

Certifications: see signature
    WIP: MCSA next up 291
  5. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Many thanks for recommendations - I will certainly keep these in mind
    :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  6. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I have to agree with the Minasi book. I had the 2000 version and bought the 2003 version. Excellent book with a ton of great information. It is conversational so that you can read it from cover to cover if you desire, however, you can also use it as a reference book. I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822