Book recommendation

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Nutman, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Nutman

Nutman New Member

Hi people.

Just passed the A+ and used the Faster, Smarter book which was rank to say the least! Easy to read but I almost tripped up on a few areas of the exam that the book did not mention and don't want that to happen again!

So can anyone recommend a good book for the Network+ exam?

Thanks

Craig

2. Mark

Mark Bit Poster

I found the Sybex book was quite good, has everything you need to pass the exam, plus the usual CD with some realistic tests on it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA+M, MCSE:2000
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Nutman,

Echo Mark - I passed with Sybex last year - comfortable to read, and on a par with Mike Meyers' A+ bible, IMHO.

Not so convinced on the realism of the practice tests from memory (hurriedly looks out Flame-proof suit) but a good measure of your progress none the less.

Good luck when you come to sit the exam. Got any plans for a timescale yet ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I used the Sybex book (currently on sale in Amazon)

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I used an earlier version of this book. A bit dry, but it had all the up to date info I needed.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Nutman

Nutman New Member

Thanks for the replies chaps. the favourite seems to be Sybex. Would that be this book?

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

That's the fella, Nutman.
    :D

8. Nutman

Nutman New Member

No timescale as yet, how long didi it take you Gav?

Cheers

Craig

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking ..:hhhmmm

I think given the time I could find to study for it, I sat it 3-4 months after the 70-215. Might be wrong, but that's certainly close. If I can offer any more info, just ask, OK ?

btw, just noticed you're in Glasgow - what test centre have you been using ?

:D

10. Nutman

Nutman New Member

Cheers Gav,

I've been using the QA place on New City road, not the nicest looking area around there and a bugger to get parked at!

11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Are you sure it was not 3 or 4 years????

(IN Joke sorry Guys)

12. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

It depends how comfortable you are with networking basics, but i found the exam cram books quite good, nice concise facts, easy to pick up and read anywhere books, but if they are still printing them i dont know?

VERY handy tear out cram sheet on the front for key facts, but only useful if you have a basic understanding of networks to start with.

If your working from scratch be prapred to take 2 - 3 months to study, but if you familiar with networks 3 or 4 weeks of hard study should prep you for the exam.

Take the exam when you feel confident, although i found setting myself a deadline meant i kept to my study and didnt fall behind or get lazy etc.

All the best!

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I got an e-mail the other day from CompTIA inviting me (well...it was a broadcast e-mail) to join a forum to discuss a possible revision of the Network + exam. This is the first move in eventually upgrading it. Once it's done, a whole new batch of books will have to be updated (Hey...maybe someone will ask me to write one!). Just a "heads up", folks.

14. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Cram Exam is a good series of books to study from along with a larger text. They tend to cover just the highlights which is good when you're about ready to take a cert exam and want to keep those points fresh in your memory.

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey, I just noticed this, Sandy :evil: Think you'd got away with it, did you ?

LOL :D Come on, you know I'm not that bad :roll: