Bonus payments and Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Gingerdave, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have a bit of a quandary and I thought I would ask you guys for some advice. As I mentioned in my intro I managed to get my Boss to sub some of the cost of my training in the form of a bonus payment per certification I gain.

Under my current agreement with my training provider I took out a CDL to cover the costs amounting to about £4.5K (seems a lot when I write it like that :blink), the bonus scheme I agreed with my boss amounts to £3K which would clearly go a long way to paying back the loan, however I am wondering if this is the best direction for this money.

I realise that as I progress it would be helpful to have a test environment available for me to destroy and fix while learning, and that doing it in the live environment where I work may be viewed as counter productive to my continued employment.

So my question comes to this, should I divert some of the bonus payments to the a Technet subscription or is there a better, and legal, way to get the software I require?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

In todays financial climate i would do everything i could to pay off any debt, in fact i spent 2 years clearing off 17K of debt, so my gut tells me to pay off debt before anything else.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd agree here. I don't like the look of the markets at all, and I'm sufficiently old to remember the pain of high mortgage rates. So I'm paying off all loans as afast as possible and not taking on any more.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Same here, I am pretty young and even for me it's too important having a debt, I am just paying off my car as fast as possible and hope to not take any loans unless I really have to.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have to have a think, maybe I can get work to pay for one.....:twisted:

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A Technet subscription will cost you a minor fraction of that bonus... not even a tenth of it, unless you Brits have to pay a lot more for it than we do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Avoid debt at all cost like the plagues, and yep! the technet subscriptions sounds like a pretty good option if I were you:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell