bloody vista, permission errors

Discussion in 'Software' started by shaggy, Sep 24, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Spare me the abuse for getting vista....haha

right, so installed it (fresh, not an upgrade)

after 2 or 3 hours of getting everything compatible and overcoming a few BSOD's i get a new problem

i cant acces things like control panel! ive been on to google and everyone says just turn off UAC, but theres 2 things wrong with that, firstly, i was able to access everything for the first 3 hours of using Vista, secondly, turning it off doesnt actually solve the problem

im the only user, administrator account, so i assumed id have full rights

MSN also wont work, no version does, ive read this is linked to my permission problem

someone help me before it goes in the oven, cheers

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you can't access Control Panel, then something's wrong with your Vista installation. I've installed it plenty of times, and never lost access to the Control Panel.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

i can access it if for instance i go into my documents and scroll down the nav bar on the left, just not from the start menu

i could access it 2 hours ago from the start menu, then all of a sudden, no access

4. BosonMichael

Might you have simply removed it from your Start Menu?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

no no, its thier, but when i click on it i get a popup saying i dont have permission to access it please contact the admin

but if i navigate to it other ways, it works, theres other various things i dont have permission to do even though i am the admin

6. BosonMichael

Can you take a pic of the error? Doesn't sound normal.

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Shaggy

There's nothing 'wrong' with Vista per se. Its like any new M/S OS - there's a learning curve before you get used to it. I have installed it hundreds of times and, though I still don't use it most of the time (I prefer XP as it's more mature and stable) there isn't a single feature that I haven't found within 30 seconds to a minute of digging around or Googling.

FWIW, I've found that most networking issues with Vista were related either to the turning off of NTLM authentication, the Vista firewall or third party software interfering with the Vista TCP/IP stack (Firewalls & Av clients mainly)

A quick Google also turned up posts on several forums related to NVidia display drivers causing problems like the one you're describing, so the problem may lie with NVidia's drivers rather than an underlying MS problem.

There also appears to be a related problem with two services - so try the following workaround, grepped from an NVidia forum:

1) Launch services.msc from a run command
    2) Find the SLUNotify service & stop it
    3) Find the Software Licensing service & stop it (it may say that ReadyBoost needs that service to run; stop it anyway)
    4) Restart both services, starting with Software Licensing

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

thanks for all your help but unfortunatly it didnt work

HOWEVER...booted up today and everythings working how it was when i initially installed vista, have access to everything and so far, touch wood, havnt been denied access to anything

no idea whats triggered it, shouldnt have been a simple reboot as i must have rebooted literally 30 odd times yesterday and it didnt fix it then

also MSN is letting me sign in again

havnt got automatic updates on so couldnt have downloaded any fixes

hmmm shall see how it goes

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

not that it would have anything to do with it...but what version of Vista are you using and what spec is your machine?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Its a P4 3.00Ghz
    1Gb RAM
    128Mb 9200SE (need to upgrade it to get aero)

running vista ultimate

seems to run everything ok, performance scores arnt the best, might make a post in this in a minute to see what everyones running