best book?

Discussion in 'A+' started by leosdelsol, May 25, 2009.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

Im going to study up for my A+ after doing a bit of research (looking at posts on here) it seems the "all in one sixth edition by mike meyers 2006" is the book of choice? is this the best choice and is it the latest version?

Cheers all
    Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Can't tell you myself but a lot of people seem to really rate the Mike Meyers all-in-one for A+. Assuming that is the latest version then it sounds good to me.

Sure somebody will be along soon to say for definate!

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes that is the best and most current book to use as long as you are doing the 2006 version of the A+. THe exam changes later in the year to the 2009 version so if you do that then the Mike Meyers 7th edition will be the one to use when it is realeased.

The current exam will still be around for a while, so if you want to get it done with get the 6th edition and get studying :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

cool guys thanks for the replys :) better get studying and get it before it changes
    thanks again

5. psotek

psotek Bit Poster

I think that Comptia A+ Complete Study Guide by Wiley Publishing (Quentin Docter) will good book for all beginers.

psotek

Certifications: A+.MCDST
    WIP: 70-621
  6. Rheinkraft

Rheinkraft Bit Poster

I ordered Mike Meyers 6th edition yesterday, Alot of good feedback on the reviews so hopefully will do the trick 8)

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I disagree. For beginners Meyers is definitely the best book to start with as it explains concepts well and doesn't assume any significant prior knowledge or experience.
    People with an intermediate/advanced level of knowledge of the subject might benefit from bypassing Meyers and going straight to Docter et al.
    Personally I'd recommend both for beginners. I never read Docter's book until after I'd been through Meyers' a couple of times and my impression was that I'd have found it tough going without the previous knowledge gleaned from Meyers'.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

Just read chapter two of 6th edition :)

It does cover the basics which isnt really a bad thing, its easy to read which is great cause the CCNA book im reading isnt at all.

defo worth getting

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That's because the CCNA is an advanced cert and shouldn't be done by people with no experience.

The CCNA is one of those certs that is supposed to show that you already work with CISCO gear and having the CCNA and no experience can go against you when looking for a job where as having the A+ and no experience won't go against you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Hooligan

Hooligan Bit Poster

Hi Greenbrucelee
    Mate I just bought the 6th edition Mike Meyers all in one and it arrives tomorrow Friday 18/09/2009. I think I wil only be ready to wright an exam in December or maybe even as late as Jan 2010.

What I would like to ask you is should I think about returning the book to Amazon and getting the 09 version?

what are good books for 2009 version of A+?

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Bit Poster

*****PLEASE DELETE*****

*****PLEASE DELETE*****

Hi
    I purchased same book (Mike Meyers-all in one-6th edition A+) which I will receive this Friday. Should I send it back and get the 2009 version because I will only be ready to do my exams in Jan 2010.

Are there any 2009 version books out yet, if so what?

*****PLEASE DELETE*****

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, the 2009 AIO 7th edition isn't out yet. If you'll be ready for both 2006 exams by December/January, I'd recommend you go for it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!