Banning IP address

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Why bother banning an IP address when there is a better way. Banning a MAC address. I can't see somebody wishing to change there NIC everytime they wanted to be naughty on here.

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag Sandy.:oops:

Release clears the ip address and sets it to 0.0.0.0 . Try it out.
    Renew, well it um renews the ip address.:oops:

BTW we're watching you.:eek:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Unless I'm mistaken Sandy, the site software doesn't register MAC addy's, so elegant as your solution is in it's simplicity, I dont think we have the means (yet) to implement it.

And can we lay off CheekMaster here ? The guy is being asked to defend the asking of a question :blink It's not a blooming witch-hunt !!! As we've all agreed already, the Staff here can spot a spammer at a hundred keystrokes .... :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Type ipconfig /? at a command prompt and see all of the crazy options available

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A MAC address is not propagated beyond the local physical network.

When an Ethernet frame is routed via a modem (say) the ethernet stuff, including the MAC address, is stripped off and a different frame substituted.

This forum will never see the MAC address of an ethernet card attached to a users machine (even assuming there is one).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I dissagree! I understand that the MAC address is held in the TCP/IP packet and spend many a happy day with me old packet sniffer checking them out.:oops:

7. hbroomhall

No - wrong way round. An Ethernet frame *contains* the TCP/IP packet. When it leaves the ethernet physical network the MAC info and other ethernet stuff is gone - the TCP/IP stuff remains.

Harry.

8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

where is Pheonix? he'll know

9. hbroomhall

Er - thank you - I think...... :blink

Harry.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Interesting thread. Anyone remember Mrs Thatcher?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet." or as fishy :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

@Harry & Sandy,

Whoever's right, it's still possible to spoof MAC addresses. My router makes it quite easy to change the MAC address in case a cable broadband modem requires a specific PC connected to it.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

mac address is layer 2, and does not get propagated beyond the local subnet. harry's right.

13. Mr.Cheeks

@ Harry & Sandy

Sorry if i sounded rude when i mentioned Pheonix - the reason for this is; As far as i am concerned, i believe that Harry is one of few of the most knowledge poeple i know, any solution that Harry gives me (I.T. related) i would do without questioning, however, Sandy is someone i do not know, and I do not know how intelliegent she is, hence asking for someone who would definately know the answer - Pheonix. Sorry about if i offended any of you two...

-----

@ Pete - What does that meant to mean?

I am a member of loads of forums, but the only reason for that is cuz of if i have to download or view answers or something, they require you to register.

there are 3 forums where i actually post.
    1. CF
    2. xx (Only registered cuz of the games, rarely post)
    3. xx (I post news and A+ quizzes and enjoy the games, and try and help out)

i have had 3 pm's from the top dogs saying i should not of posted that and thats fine, i apologised and have not done it again...

Basically all i am saying is, with me, if you got a problem with me, just tell me and dont beat around the bush...

*rant over*

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok chaps,

I think that this thread has come to an acceptable conclusion, and we should call an end to it now.

There is no guaranteed way of stoping anyone from returning to a forum where they have been banned and registering as a new user. What we can do is look at the style of posts people make and make educated guesses from there.

Cheek - Sandy displays a link to his website in his signature on which he has an online CV. You can make Judgements about his intellegence from there! :biggrin

:offtopic

15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Now there is a thought!

16. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure I'm going to get into hot water for continuing this thread but here goes...

What should CM not have posted? I can see two options:
    1. His original post. In this case why? I think this is a perfectly valid question for someone who may want to administer their own website in future. Yes, people may have assumed CM has been banned from a forum and wanted to get round it, but he has obviously not been banned from this forum, so why should people here have a problem with him asking?

2. His comment about Phoenix. I see this as slightly more valid as, if taken the wrong way, it may have been viewed as insulting to the people trying to help him out. The first time I read it, I took it as a joke, but based on CM's apology, perhaps it wasn't meant as a joke after all. However, by "top dogs" pm'ing him, I assume he means Mods/Admins. If he was being offered friendly advice, all well and good, we all cross boundaries from time to time without meaning to, but ultimately, if his comments caused offence, that's between him and the people the comments were directed at.

If I'm way off target here, I humbly apologise but I sometimes need things spelling out for me.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  17. Mr.Cheeks

That was not related to this thread. Was for separate issues on other posts... :oops:

nevertheless, i know the answers now so thanks to everyone, and i think everyone here deserves a :slidedrin or two...

No hard feelings yea? :thumbleft

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

If I may post to one and all....

It seems this thread has now become more of an exercise in running a forum, and forum politics in general. Early on, I requested that participants stop questioning CheekMaster for his posts or reasons for posting. Then, a more interesting discussion developed related to the original question, and not the motives behind it.

However, it then reverted back to the questioning of the poster again. Can we now please draw this to a close, or at least (as mentioned above) get back to topic again, ie discussing restricting access by IP address ? There is no need for personal probing in this issue.

The whole thread is reminiscent of the tale of the thread posted on the light bulb forum about how many members it takes to change a light bulb. It's on here somewhere - if someone has the time to dig it out, I'm sure it would lighten the atmosphere for everyone involved.

Thanks to all.

Re the issue about Sandy - priceless. Just check her boots for a start :tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. Mr.Cheeks

20. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Gav

I'll just get my stilettos!

Sorry CheekMaster! I am 100% Celtic male and have been in IT for FAR to long. Sandy is a popular name for males in Scotland.