Back to back serial cable?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Straylight, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

HI.
    First post and it's a question. Yes, I did try Googling but no difinitive answer.

I'm studying for CCNA. Have 2 Cisco 2610s and a 2500 in my homelab. I need a back to back serial cable to connect 2 of them but I don't know what type.

The 2 2610s have a WIC installed. The same model, one each. The hardware as shown from IOS is.
    Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial

The 2500 has the following serial port.
    Hardware is HD64570

So, which cable do I need to connect these back to back? If I can't get one that will be compatible with all 3. What do I need to connect the 2 2610s?

Cheers.

Straylight.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA MS 70-680
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

if they all only have one port how you gonna connect them all?

From that info though it won't be possible to tell you which serial cable you need (i dont think, as thats just the processor on the card or some sh*t)

take a picture of the serial connectors and slam it up here, that way can tell you for sure what cable.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

The 2610's have 1 built in ethernet port each. One's connected to a switch at the moment. I want to connect the other 2610 to it via serial and eventually get another switch to simulate 2 networks connected over a PPP connection. Then figure out how I work the 2500 in there somewhere. Need an Aui tranciever for that.

Pictures might be a bit tricky at mo. I'm a blind guy ;) See what i can do over weekend.

Cheers

4. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

Just to clarify. The 2610 is a modular router. They have 1 ethernet port. 2 slots for other modules.They both came with the WICs installed.

What ever these ports are, they feel like RS232 type com ports. Smart serial they are defintely not. I bought a Smart serial cable, by mistake. Doh.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

They will be serial ports, but Cisco has a few different versions of the connector. Shove a pic of the connector on

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

It will most likely be a Serial db60 DCE to DTE crossover cable that you need.

Does the port look like the one on this video : WIC1T

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Amazing, hats off to you!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

Cheers.

That one mentioned above T1 WIC, could well be it. I'm starting the next part of the course at college. Might take one of the modules in to show the tutor.