AT vs ATX?

Discussion in 'A+' started by mikehende, May 23, 2006.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice.... :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

That's one of the best pieces of advice I've come across!

3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

mikehende,

By physical observation of the computer case, an AT computer has a hard switch on the power supply itself, and an ATX computer has a push button power button.

By looking inside at the motherboard, an AT computer has two power connectors to the motherboard, and an ATX computer has a single power connector to the motherboard.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. mikehende

By this you mean, the power button on the front of the pc? Yes, this is a big help, thanks.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, well ATX does have two power connections to the MOBO, if you count the P4 4 pin plug which is on most ATX PSU's. Dell have three btw :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. mikehende

Is it possible to use such an AT PSU [with the built-in hard switch] in an ATX case?

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Don't think so Mike. The whole idea behind ATX is that you can power off the PC by choosing shutdown from the operating system. Hence the power switch on an ATX case does not stay physically in the on position. All it does is send a signal to the PSU that it has been closed (by someone pressing it) and the PSU will turn on. Also, if you do hold an ATX type on/off switch physically in, which would be simulating an old AT type, then the PSU switches off.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

You probably could physically fit an AT power supply into an ATX case,but you'd have to stop there,since,first and foremost,the AT power connectors are completely incompatible with ATX motherboard power connectors.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Then again you do get motherboards with both sets of connectors.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Mr_Fishbulb

Mr_Fishbulb Nibble Poster

Agree with that - some ATX mobos just have the 20 pin power connector; some have a 20 pin and a seperate 4 pin; and some have a 24 pin.

Certifications: Naff All
    WIP: A+
  11. mikehende

I am getting confused here, so there are 3 issues that make the ATX form factors [case, PSU without Hard switch and Mobo] correct or no? If so, then if you can mix and match any of those 3, just what is it that makes the pc you're looking at ATX?

12. Mr_Fishbulb

ATX refers to the form factor of the motherboard.

An ATX case just means it is designed to fit an ATX motherboard inside and all the holes in the back of the case line up with the ports & expansion sockets on the motherboard.

An ATX PSU just means it was designed to work with an ATX motherboard.

13. mikehende

great, so this tells me that if a pc does NOT have an ATX Mobo then it is NOT ATX, correct?

14. hbroomhall

ATX is actualy a standard. There have been many instances of manufacturers not following the standard exactly for various reasons. Whether you can call such units 'ATX' is somewhat of a personal taste. If you are wanting to be precise then you could argue that unless it adheres to the standard exactly it isn't ATX.

But that would confuse others who don't demand such precision.

Also - ATX is a changing standard. Current versions have different connectors on the PSU compare with older ones - so correctly you should give a version number when discussing it.

I find that most dealers have no idea of verion numbers though!

Harry.

15. mikehende

I think this is a great link but can you tell me if I should more in-depth research than what's on the bottom of this page regarding BTX or will this suffice for now?

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2005/motherboard_form_factors.asp

16. hbroomhall

That will suffice for now. IMHO A+ won't ask about BTX because it is far too new!

The key point about AT/ATX is the I/O panel mounted directly on the ATX motherboard; and the front switch, which on AT switched the mains supply, and on ATX is a lightweight contact only button, connected to the motherboard.

Harry.

17. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

For the purpose of the 2003 objectives studies just be aware that BTX is a format,should it decide to appear as a question.

A typical question might look something like this (i made this one up by the way!)

Which of the following are motherboard formats (choose 2)

1.ATX
    2.NIC
    3.ALU
    4.BTX

Certifications: A+ Network+
  18. mikehende

got it! Thanks guys!

19. mikehende

I printed out diagrams [pics] of all form factors and looked at them side by side to get an idea into what all of the hoopla is about, I have to think that the BTX is really better than the ATX and all the rest, anyone share a different opinion, if so, why please?

20. Mr_Fishbulb

It's a good way of getting more air into the case without an extra fan (albeit heated as it goes over the CPU). Although unless there is a filter, it will mean a lot more dust in the case.

The best bit seems to be that the graphics card will essentially be upside down so the GPU is exposed to the airflow.