1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

asp logon script

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Sparky, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hi all,

Even though I’m now chasing a career in an IT support I still get some developer projects to do!

Basically I need to write a small asp.net script for a website that redirects the user to the relevant page depending on the logon credentials. I have this working with a small Access database holding the usernames and passwords.

The problem is that if a user knows the URL to the Access database they can download it, not good! I have password protected the Access database but this is not an ideal solution.

I have developed the code on my laptop with IIS running on the laptop as well. I will be moving the code onto a Windows 2003 server this week and I need to find a method to stop users downloading the database, any ideas? Also if there is a better method to authenticate the users (which isn’t too complicated) Id be glad to hear it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am no guru on IIS Sparky but I found this link which does explain what is possible using NTFS, WebDAV and how they interact with each other.

I think that the answer is to set proper restrictive permissions to the Access database folder.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...technologies/iis/deploy/confeat/permmaze.mspx

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's really useful, thanks.
    Wish I'd had it a couple of months ago!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good link that. 8)

I made a change in the actual asp code. Originally I had the database in a virtual folder in IIS but I took the database out of the folder and put it in a regular windows folder on the D: partition. Therefore the code reads D:\database\users.mdb in the database connection string which isn’t viewable when you click 'view source' in IE. Also you can’t browse to the database directory through a URL so in theory it can’t be downloaded.

Will hopefully move the code onto the Windows Server box tomorrow and have a beta version online by the end of the week.

Will have to start wearing my “I am not a software developer” T-shirt to work from now on so I don’t get landed with these projects! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010