Asking Salary?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Mar 11, 2015.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi folks,

After another bit of advice, you lot were very helpful last time!

Anyways, a recruitment agency contacted me via Linkedin about a SCCM engineer job. They havent given me the salary range that the company are looking at but I have found the same job listed with another agency at 30-35k. Now I am currently only on 22.5K and the recruiter has asked what I am currently on and how much I am expecting. Obviously i'd love 30k but id be happy leaving at anything over 25k.

The new job would mean double he petrol money spent and quite a bit more travelling, but I would not mind that if I am getting paid more, but I am not sure what to ask for.

They want experience with SCCM 2012, my work experience is 2007 but I have been on Microsoft's instructor led recommended 2012 courses, and that is why I don't expect the full 30-35k.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya mate, I don't see the harm in telling the recruiter how much you're on now just make sure you add in about your additional travel costs needing to compensate you. It's not just fuel but additional wear and tear on your motor mate. 30k should be a bare minimum for someone with good SCCM experience IMHO. That said it all depends on where you are, how skilled you are, many variables etc not to mention plain and simple what you're happy with. You might be over the moon, really motivated on 35k. Someone else might struggle, be miserable and be constantly looking for something else, everyones different. Best of luck with this, hope you get it

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    exonje likes this.
  3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Thanks very much jk, helpful as always!

JK2447 likes this.
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually, I would ask why the agency need to know what you're currently on, let's be fair, if they think you're worth X then put you forward at X, just because you're on a certain amount currently doesn't mean you aren't worth more, as an example my wife only got a cost of living increase in her company for the 5 years she worked there, whereas in the 4 years I have been working here I have jumped up considerably more, is it fair? does it matter at the next role how much either of us are on if they are prepared to offer more?

Obviously your new company will know how much you were on previously based on your P45 etc.

Word of advice, spend some time playing with SCCM 2012 it's different (I blogged about the installation routine and when I logged in it's vastly different UI).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    exonje likes this.
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Simple, never tell them what you are on, ask for the maximum out of their pay range if you're a good fit, which it sounds like you are.

Just say 'I expect 35k for the position', simples.

Don't under sell yourself. This is business.

There is no such thing as an innocent question from a recruiter, they are all designed to get leverage, think very carefully before you answer any of them.

I repeat NEVER TELL A RECRUITER WHAT YOU EARN...

only WHAT YOU EXPECT TO EARN

I have had 50% salary increases, do you think this would happen if I told them I just need bread and water ?
    Last job I took a 40% cut, even telling people about that is a bad idea. You can be considered overqualified or too expensive.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Rob1234 and exonje like this.
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I'd echo what dmarsh and SimonD said, I never tell recruiters what I earn now when they phone I just tell them its in my contract that I'm not allowed to discuss it They normally come with something like "thats odd, what range are you in", to which they still get a stony silence. Also unless I can get out of them the definite package and email evidence being offered then the phone call goes no further.

Also as above be upfront and if the range is 30-35 don't be polite and say "30 will do".

You are selling your services and sadly that does occasionally mean being a bit salesman-y which no techie likes but unless you do you will not get the most out of your opportunity. Be confident in your requirements and you will find you'll cut out most of the hassles involved in talking to recruiters who are still mostly a necessary evil in our game.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I went for an interview once whilst I was contracting, this was for a perf role. The salary range was 45-55k, please understand that this would have been a drop in pay for me as a contractor. I was asked by the HR bot how much I wanted, I said well obviously 55k as there was no point in going any lower... a small silent pause and the HR bot said... ok.

I found out later that peers were on 38 - 45.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Speaking as an SCCM 2012 administrator...

There's a big increase at the moment in SCCM work as companies take on 2012 - especially for the final XP end of life.

A lot of the knowledge in SCCM 2007 is transferable to 2012 - but as SimonD said, the whole setup is completely different to 2007, and it does take a while to get used to. Do you know if you'll be implementing a new installation of 2012, or expected to hit the ground with a system already running?

I'd suggest getting a lab setup and install 2012 to get you upto speed with it.

If you're just starting off with SCCM 2012, and you have a solid knowledge in 2007, i'd aim at the 30k mark and sell yourself a bit more., the might knock you down a few k, but it'd be over your target - but the biggest thing, in my opinion - is you'll have exposure to SCCM 2012 in an enterprise environment, a few years experience on that and you can up the salary even more (Been there and done it myself)

Good luck :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud