Asking company for pay rise

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, May 15, 2011.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to ask for a pay rise. I have been offered a new job for more money, however I would like to see if my current company would make some kind of offer to tempt me to stay (for want of better words). Not quite sure how to word it to my manager and whether I should mention the new job?

Thanks.

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. melhiore

melhiore Bit Poster

I know what my employer would say: go, I'm not going to stop you... more serious - it is always difficult to say.

You need to take into consideration your relationship with employer, you need to consider if what you can offer is valuable to company. In usual circumstances employers are trying to be flexible to certain extent - you need to know how far you can push them before disaster may happen. I would tell the employer that someone approached me asking if I am interested in new opportunity. However, you need to be careful not to give any indication that decision is already made. You will see how conversation will "flow"...

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Security, CompTIA N+,S+, CWTS/CWNA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I got another offer for more money at another company... I then went to see my boss and told him that I would like to get a pay rise as I was offered more money at another company... I also told him that I would like to stay and just want to get paid what I am worth... You have to make sure that you're getting paid what your market value is. In my case I was under paid and we worked out an arrangement.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

a good trick would be to write a notice, and keep it in the pocket while asking for higher salary
    if the answer is no then you take the notice out of your pocket, and politely say thank you
    :-)
    always think about yourself first, if there is a place where they will pay you more for similar job then go for it, you live once
    If I sound cocky - life and working for employers made me so. I used to be good, loyal hardworking person, but realized it doesn't pay off

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, the real question is: are you worthy of a pay rise?
    It seems that nowadays we all expect one every year, but in reality, do we actually deserve one?
    Is the company doing well enough to afford one?

If someone has offered you more money elsewhere, fine.
    Your company will either want to keep you, or you can leave. Either way, more cash.

If you just think you deserve it, you need to put together a comprehensive argument as to why.
    Can't help you with that...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

My advice would be to make sure you would take the other job and then put your notice in and see if they come back to you. If not then take the other job. Last thing you want to do is not want the other job and ask for a pay rise and be told to bugger off so to speak. Again you have to be realistic on your expectations as well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It is worth mentioning that there is more to life than more money.
    Is there anything keeping you with your current employer?

I've known people move on for cash, and end up deeply unhappy due to more pressure, longer commute, later hours etc etc.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. djw

djw Nibble Poster

My current position is probably better explained in this thread:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/employment-jobs/44624-new-job-advice-please.html

I basically look after everything IT related in the company and company has around 100 users. New job is better hours, closer, better progression (supposedly) as well as more money. However could be lees admin and free reign.

Am I worth a pay rise? Difficult to say really. What is the average for a someone that does support and admin for entire IT infrastructure for a small business in the Thames Valley? If average is above £30k for example then I am way underpaid :).

Thanks,

D

9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

where abouts are you in the TV, I'm not too far away and salary wise maybe on par with what you are saying. I administer the same number of users, with a few remote sites for good measure, so I guess our jobs may well be fairly similar.

Career progression is usually non existant in a company and you will be lucky to progress. generally you learn all you can in one role, jump to another company suck it up and rinse and repeat. Also worth thinking about is with a larger company you will get to play with bigger toys!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Giving your notice and expecting the company to come back with a counter offer to keep you is a dangerous thing to do. They may counter your offer to keep you on board, but in the back of their minds, the company may have doubt about keeping you. They may start a process to replace you without you knowing, and once they have someone to take over your position, they'll let you go. Why is it like this? Simply because if you're ready to leave, it means you may not find your current job satisfying enough, and thus your work effort suffers and it means you will still be leaving sooner or later (and more likely sooner).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. djw

djw Nibble Poster

I am in Reading.

I realise that handing in my noticed to get some kind of reaction is risky, so that is why I was wondering if a conversation should be had before actually going ahead and handing it in?

The job offer is from a bigger company, however it is supporting EMEA region which is around the same amount of people as I support now. What concerns me is that they have alot of their infrastructure based overseas (their UK server room is a cupboard!), so I am wondering if I am not getting as much access to certain things I will lose the skills. They have said that they are open to suggestions as to how IT can help them more and that the role is the start of something bigger and it is up to me the way it evolves - but that could just be talk.

I do like my current role but there is want to do things somewhere else (company is a bit strange, travel time and cost is too much, not earning enough), but not to the possible detriment of my skills. However, new company have offered a massive bump up in salary (in fact, it is alot more than was originally advertised), so maybe they have bigger things planned.

Thanks,

D