Are there any

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 16, 2008.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

AFAIK it shouldn't be filtered. The only stops I know of are *incoming* to well known problem ports.

Provide some info and I'll dig...

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

You just need to choose a router that suites your needs mate. I currently run a netgear 2740B for the wireless N capabilities so that i can sit in the garden with the laptop and surf (could never get that far with wireless g) it also has a decent firewall, and like i said in an earlier post, my sync has went up.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

It’s not filtered and can be done but sky wont officially give you support for it.

The tech support is ok as long as you get through to the UK, its the out source that lets it down. The number is also now a 0844 so better than it was.

WIP: A+ Network+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It is filtered. :tongue

I support a customer who had the bright idea to change all of his home users over to Sky broadband as it was cheaper than BT. None of them could connect to various VPNS and if they could the connection would drop or be so slow it was pointless to use.

Changed them to another provider (took ages to get all the MAC codes) and then everything worked fine.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Well we'll have to agree to disagree,

sounds like you gave up too soon :twisted:

Your customer got sorted so job done :biggrin

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL! :biggrin

In all seriousness I don’t think there is a standard for broadband connections even from the same provider. Going back to the Sky example nothing worked, even changing the routers and getting onto tech support for help. You are right, VPN traffic isn’t support so they don’t care, as long as you can browse the web then that’s where the support ends.

Before I switched to Be broadband I was on AOL (stop laughing!) and I could connect to any VPN from home however one of my mates could not. Even if I took my laptop to his house and tried to connect it would time out. Same router was used, replaced the ADSL splitter but no joy.

As long as VPN and SMTP traffic is not filtered and there are no bandwidth caps then it is a suitable home connection for business use IMO.

What kinda VPN traffic did you put over the Sky connection btw, was it PPTP?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

I've done IPsec & L2TP and I have heard of PPTP being don but not done myself

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Different broadband routers can be better or worse depending on the situation or the particular use they are put to. Eg, some routers are well known to offer better sync rates when dealing with a connection that is almost at it's distance limit. Matching up the chipset on your router to that of the DSLAM in the exhchange can help a great deal when it comes to boosting sync rates also.

Some are known to be poor when dealing with very high traffic levels (especially bit torrents etc..) so if this would be an issue then it's worth doing some homework on it.

Some providers currently will not offer any support unless you use their own broadband router. Understandable if they are trying to cut support costs down I suppose. Some will also give you a router for free, but then lock you in to a long contract.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

we had one of those from NTL Telewest but it was a complete disaster...
    modem wasn't syncronising properly or getting an IP address or both, sometimes was blocking all the traffic from our router...

i think a modem/router combo is a better option

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That's a different kettle of fish completely C4sper. You don't have much choice when it comes to cable modems, as they are always provided by the cable ISP. (UK anyway). You can get routers that are designed for cable, but not as far as I am aware routers with an actual cable modem in it. ADSL modem / routers, sure ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And I've run Openswan (IPSec + L2TP) over my connection with no problems.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+