Applying for jobs- getting no response

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by vgarg, Feb 9, 2009.

1. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

In your last reply the objective and technical skills are much better and relevant. Changing Other Skills to Soft Skills is a great idea from Theprof.

Still think the main issue is content in the experience section to which only you yourself can write this. Here is an example of what I mean:

 One year experience in IT support. Responsible for 4 computers on site

What is wrong with this line:

"One year experience" This is stating the obvious. If you have worked for somewhere for one year it is likely you will have one years (Notice the "s" at the end) experience. We know experience is key in this market but don't dwell on it in this area of the CV, they can work it out from the Dates section.

"IT Support" You have not actually stated anywhere your Job title. IT Support is a very wide net and whilst they can get the idea of the type of support you provided from further reading, the idea is to make it easy to read so they WILL read the rest of it.

"Responsible for 4 computers on site" This may be open to objections....... Have to say 4 computers is not a lot. I have more than that just at home and reading this line just screams "small fry!!". I would therefore not bother including this detail at all or rather, reword it. Depending on what it was you actually did there maybe try:

 Solely responsible for the IT Infrastructure of a small busy branch office

This is only an example so you get the idea as the statement above might be stretching it a little too far, only you know which is why no one can write your CV for you.

The key is making your CV stand out for the employer to want to know more and invite you to interview, at which point you can give them the exact details and numbers via a nice, bright personality.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I am not the best one to comment on your cv as i have no recruitment expirence, but i just dont think it flows.

I have applied for 3 jobs in the last couple of months and got a call abck about all of them but couldnt go any further due to my current notice period. All desktop positions.

Hope this maybe helps a little bit but dont give up and i am sure with the input on here you will get it right eventually and hopefully get that job. If you have a free day it is always handy to pop into some agencies personally and have a word or just drop in your cv.

Attached Files:

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The skills summary still really bothers me I'm afraid, its better but it still doesn't really seem to tell me anything. The other skills section reads much better, spelling out what you mean with each skill makes things a lot clearer to potential hiring managers etc. For instance, 'MS Office - good knowledge of the various elements of Office including creating macros...' if all you do is list it then all you've done is giving a really vague impression of understanding.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Thanks guys. :biggrin

I have re-modified the CV. I have completely taken the technical skill section out. I have also rearranged the layout and content. Ive added achievements in work experience instead of a separate section.

Attached Files:

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing