Apple vs PC - you decide

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Colin1, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Hy guys just had a look at these little video clips on the Internet. You have all probably seen them but I was just wandering what you thought of them in terms of how accurate the clips actually are, bearing in mind that this is the apple website so you know....

http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/movies.html

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

My response? alot of the things they have said about the PCs is not true...I mean saying that a PC is riddled with trial versions of applications? come on, the only one you get a trial software of is mainly Office...and even the Mac comes with this and you still have to buy the full version for about £500.

Apple's own digital software iLife, well except for iMovie HD, iWeb and iDVD the .Mac application you have to pay for when their trial ends (which at the time I was working for them was roughly 60days) and the fee for the subscription? about £60 a year and what do u get? The usual email addresses and web space things which u can get with your ISP these days at next to nothing.

There are other programs on the Mac that are trial versions (this dont and wont mention on their ads but they slate the PC for it).

Another one of the ads that stood out for me, was about connecting a printer when both PC and Mac are networked. Now we all know Macs and PCs can network with each other (i've done this myself) but the PC making out that the printer couldnt relate to the Mac was rather harsh (am I defending a Mac here?) but at the same time doesnt mean a PC cant connect to the printer via a Mac, right?

Also there was the one with the MS Office apps on the Mac side. When the PC asked them to come back, they were all being rebellious. That I found totally wrong. Why? Office has been running on Macs since 2004 (perhaps before this but I know the previous version was Office 2004 for Mac). So why tell people now that they can run Office on Macs?

Intel have been making CPUs for PCs since God knows when, yet along come Apple and they make out Intel are the biggest thing since sliced bread with their slogan: Whats an Intel doing in a Mac? Alot more than it did in a PC. Sorry but you guys were using IBM PowerPC CPUs, so effectively that slogan is wrong.

Apple maybe the leaders in the way the Apples look and all the features they are bringing out in their OS, but the ads are not helping out at all. They are basically making out the PCs are the worst things ever created cos a Mac can do so much more. Yes it can, if you're Peter Jackson or John Williams or Laura Ashley (she being the interior designer right?). But if you're just an average Joe who wants to show off to your mates, dont bother...unless u plan to the machine for its intended purpose and not as a piece of furniture...which I totally despise.

As for running windows on a Mac. Seriously why would u want a machine that can run two totally different operating systems? You want OS X? Buy a Mac, you want Windows build a PC simple as. With a Mac, the hardware is quite restrictive in that you cant tamper with a Mac like u can with a PC unless you are a true computer modder and know what you're doing otherwise ur stuffed!

At the end of the day, I will never use a Mac or change to a Mac for any reason. I love my PC and will always love PCs and keep building PCs for as long as it takes.

Right now thats over, who would like to review what I have said and make their own comments? I'm all ears people...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I must say my thoughts are somewhat different than Noels

A lot of those ads are utter tosh to be honest, most of us IT literate folk know that

I have no anti Virus/Spyware/Malware, yet I constantly have a clean and malware free system, go figure

However the Mac has won me over, and as soon as I have the cashola I will be getting a 17" Macbook Pro
    Simply put, I can dual boot Vista and Mac OS
    Mac OS just works, it has the power of unix, the prettiness of a classic Mac, and with VMware Fusion and Unity I can seamlessly run all my windows App

what is NOT to like? the simplicity and usability is finally winning me over, I want to come home and just use my computer, not fiddle and tweak it all the time
    although, I may well do the same on my Mac :)

Seems I can have the best of both worlds, the only thing that bugs me is hardware lock in, but that's pretty common on laptops anyway, so no biggie

It's worth highlighting, that you should make the decision on your experiences and hands on exposure, not just on those ads, as they are for the most part, total crap :) very funny though

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

yeah they are funny, not 100% true thought but funny. I was thinking about gettin like an ibook or something but they are expensive not cheap, plus it would be like learning computers again since I dont know much about os X or panther which everone is installed. I love the simplicity though and the interface, it makes it fun to use.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

And of course u know I have worked for Apple, so I know how they work and all that...but the ads do make things worse.

But I do agree Phoenix, they are nice looking and have the Unix working in the background...so I can understand your side of wanting it...

6. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

There is still something very satisfying about getting your MacBook out of your designer laptop carrysack, starting up up and looking at the puzzled faces of Windows users, and the horrified faces of diehard MacEvangelists ... as Vista Ultimate appears!!!

Perhaps I just like screwing with people's minds? :twisted:

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

And there's something even MORE satisfying for the Windows user: watching the complete prats who work for companies' design departments ponce about with their macs on the train - knowing that i couldn't give a monkey's toss about how 'cool' their laptop looks.

Honestly, whilst there are notable exceptions, I'd say about 90% of the people in my lifetime I've met who use macs are flash wankers - the sort of bloke you want to chin in the pub about 30 seconds after meeting them. They sit in their stupid offices pretending to work all day when in reality they are posting to their stupid blogs, visiting ridiculously bandwidth hungry sites, drinking Starbucks coffee and dreaming of being a snowboard/skateboard/grassboard/wankboard/insert-latest-board-crazeboard professional.

Square-framed-glasses-wearing, stupid-scooter-riding, £300-Carhartt-jacket-sporting, supercilious-attitude-wielding, 24 carat tools.

Still, I have to laugh - last company I was at I took a walk round on my first day and we went into the design department - my boss (senior network admin) said (and I quote)
    "These are the graphic designers. They're all pricks, but luckily they all use Macs, so you'll never have to speak to them again." Whereupon he turned to one of them and said:
    "Since you're all tech gurus - like everyone who uses a Mac, you won't need to talk to this guy - he'll be managing the network. Bye"

Macs are Unix for people who can't be bothered to learn Linux

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:eek: :biggrin dude I am astonished and I bow down to you my friend...such words couldnt have been better used...

EDIT: Repped for pure geniusness :biggrin

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Most peeps I know who own a Mac insist in telling me how good the thing is. This can at work or even when I’m trying to chill at the pub.

The usual comments are “I don’t need a virus killer” and “I can plug any hardware device into the Mac and will just work, don’t get that with Windows do you?” <snigger>

One day I will say “You know what? I just don’t give a f**k!” :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1. You don't need a virus killer because virus writers aren't going to bother infecting a few dozen Macs when they can infect a few zillion Windows-based OSes.

2. Yes, I *do* get that with Windows. And the reason you can plug "any" hardware device into a Mac is because you can only use devices made by Apple... like that cutting-edge technology called the "one-button mouse".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Rep granted. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You think Mac's look good? You obviously haven't seen my Macbook after a years useage.

I have one thing to say to you all - Buy the Black Mac! :rolleyes:

13. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

LMFAO

Repped

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  14. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Hello people hope you are all well. I am glad that everyone had a say aout that website, quite interesting when you consider the different opinions. I have never used a mac so i cant really pass judgement, I will keep you all updated if any other cool little snippets come about the PC vs Mac. Bye for now

C :biggrin

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+