Anyone addicted to Pepsi?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by NightWalker, May 9, 2008.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I had some blood tests about 6 months ago when I was feeling tired all the time. Everything came back fine. Thats when the doc said I should change my diet, which did help (but I didn't change that much, just cut down on junk food). But it didn't sort the problem 100%. So now I have taken the bull by the horns, am fed up with feeling groggy all the time. Seems my first step in giving up Pepsi has made me worse :blink

I went for a run today, it was well hot outside so I only did my short 3.5mile route. No booze tonight, see what its like tomorrow. I will go and see my GP on Monday if I still feel a bit off. Some of the sites I looked at last night said caffeine withdrawal can leave you with brain fog and tiredness for a few weeks.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. Crito

Crito Banned

Couldn't hurt to double check anyways. I've been told that the time of day you take the test matters too. So you might check out OK one time but not the next. Anyways, an uncle of mine (married to my father's sister -- no history on my side) died from diabetes so if there's even the slightest possibility you really can't be too careful.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... at that point, once the physical dependence is gone, all you have to do is break yourself of the psychological addiction. That's where willpower comes into play - you have to want to stop. If you don't want to stop, you won't. :)

All you had to do was smell it, and if you are addicted to it, you'd know that smell anywhere. :eek: Ahhhh... :biggrin

Alas, I did have to clean it up when the semester was over.

For the record, I'm still a major caffeine addict. I drink one can of Coke on the way to work, 3 or 4 throughout the day (or, alternatively, coffee if BosonJosh, BosonThomas, or BosonRichard have brewed some up), and one can on the way home from work. If I'm staying up late, I'll drink 1 or 2 that night.

I've tested my physical dependence on caffeine a couple of times. We weren't allowed any soft drinks during Basic Training in the Army. And I stopped caffeine cold turkey for a week last year. Both times, I expected horrible headaches... and I did have some headaches the first day and a half... but they weren't horrible - only annoying/distracting. And after two days, they were an afterthought. Perhaps I just got lucky those times.

That said, it never fails - if I haven't had a Coke by early afternoon, my head's hurtin'.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Two words from moi: Coca-Cola.

:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

My favourite cola’s in order of niceness:
    1 Pepsi
    2 Virgin Cola
    3 Coca Cola
    4 Sainsbury’s Classic Cola
    5 Cherry Coke
    I never did diet ones, only the full strength real deal!

The best ever was the limited edition Pepsi Twist, with a hint of lemon.. mmmmmmm

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

When I go to places like the cinema where they dont serve coca-cola i normally ask for Pepsi max...but these days I either drink copius amounts of coke before I go to the cinema or take a bottle in with me.

Coca-cola will always be my number 1, full fat and full strength...of course couple this with red bull and u cant stop me bouncing off the walls :biggrin

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I drink diet coca cola and this is not everyday but once in a while and at other times once in month or so if I can get the big bottle from iceland.

On the other hand I have a cup of coffee every morning at work and that's it and rarely drink coffee when am at home, but would occassionally have a can of tesco kick:).

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Coke has no fat; Coke has carbs. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Probably why I like it so much then cos I love eating pasta which I believe also has carbs? :biggrin so would that mean I am on a carb-on based diet? hehehehe...

10. bitthug

bitthug New Member

I used to drink pepsi my entire childhood. This is a family tradition but stopped drinking it at the age of 18. I'm 34 now and only drink water and Iced tea no sugar. I don't feel as tired and have lost some weight. Pepsi tastes good but it aint good for ya.

11. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

I drink about 2 liters of normal coke a day . I had to have a small operation last year so didnt have any for about two days . On the 2nd night i started shaking had bad headaches and couldnt concentrate. I downed a pint of coke and after about 5 mins felt fine . I think i would struggle to give it up.

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There's no doubt it's bad for bones it ****s with your teeth, I watched a program about this sort of thing a couple of weeks ago. Apparently Diet coke & diet Pepsi are worse for you than regular coke & Pepsi. This is due to an ingredient in the Diet versions called aspartame, it is linked to seizures and brain tumors. Has been linked to prolong skin problems like athletes foot but noone seems to have done anything about it which is werd. I supposed those links are not definate.

So drink proper coke or pepsi you'l live longer but you will get knackered teeth:p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

We've all seen what happens when you put a tooth in coke and leave it there:D

I'm purely a milk and water man myself, I don't touch coke cause caffiene makes me rattle and besides anything you can use to remove rust AND drink, I'm sure isn't healthy!!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aspartame is an absolute nightmare of a substance and should be banned. In common with another poster on this board (who will remain nameless unless they decide otherwise!) I suffer from an enormous intolerance to Aspartame. Saccharin as well for that matter, but in a different way (it just makes me twice as thirsty as I was before).

Aspartame gives me massive headaches, makes me feel ill and, I suspect, may be a contributing factor to my migraines (I now only get, on average, a couple a year but am convinced that I used to get more as a result of drinking fruit squash with aspartame hidden away in it). If anyone knew the chemical composition of Aspartame, no-one would put it anywhere near their body, let alone inside their digestive system.

I'm of the belief that you're better off sticking to the full sugar versions of all soft drinks. I'd rather be a fat bastard than develop a brain tumour!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I read something about artificial sweeteners as while ago. Unfortunately my son is diabetic and can only drink diet or no sugar stuff. We do try and keep an eye on the fizzy drinks he has but you know teenage boys. it's either that or beer.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I pefer Pepsi to coke and also from a bottle not a can, but it realy comes to life when mixed with Brandy the i have it in excess:pepsi

WIP: C++ and A+
  18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Have you looked into Stevia as a sugar replacement? It's 300 times sweeter than sugar, with none of the bad side effects for diabetics, and it's an herbal product, not a manufactured chemical product.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  19. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You are correct aspartame will be contributing to your migrains big time, do not touch it with a barge pole.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?