Anyone a MS Technet pro member

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by supernova, May 4, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I was thinking of Technet.

anyone a member here?

(* I know what its about and think it maybe useful long term*)

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you talking about a Technet subscription mate? If so then yeah, I would highly recommend it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've currently got the Action Pack, but recent changes to their plan has got me considering going with TechNet Plus Direct.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. supernova

Yes that's the one.

PS do they still have exchange 2003 eval to download ? I need to see differences from 2007

I know I used to be self employed and had this. Since November last year you have to do an exam, prove sales info and business info etc to retain it. Now i don't trade its hard for me to do this... however, they did used to have a lot of people signed up to it that weren't entitled to it.... a lot of people will be made sad

Andi

5. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Yeah they have 2003 & 2007,

I only had mine for a few months, I dont regret it

WIP: A+ Network+
  6. BosonMichael

No, you don't need to do all that. You have to take an online exam (incredibly easy, and you can take it till you pass it), and that's all you need to do to fulfill their requirements. You do need to provide IT services for a company or for clients... but Microsoft does not require that you provide proof.

So that's not why I'm considering not renewing the Action Pack. I'm considering not renewing because they originally provided only Vista Business... and an upgrade version at that!! No Vista Ultimate and no Vista Home Premium... so you can't learn about features in those versions to be able to support customers/users with those OSes. And no full version, so you had to have an unused XP key just sitting around to be able to use it. Sure, I had the XP key provided with my previous Action Pack stuff... but what about the newbie tech who gets the Action Pack for the first time and finds out that they can't even use it to install Vista without using their personal XP key (which they are probably using for on their own PCs)? I can't condone this practice, so I can no longer in good conscience recommend the Action Pack to fellow techs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I'm in my second year as a Technet Subscriber and find it invaluable.
    Well worth the outlay!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. supernova

I'll have to take your word for that, because i didn't cover any of that myself, perhaps its was the partnership evaluation.

Andi

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Actually you have to take an on-line course, there is a selection of courses and i did a couple just for the sheer hell of it.. one was Small Business Sales and Marketing Skills Assessment, which was a piece of cake really, as long as you know the differences between a Strategic IT business, a Dependant IT business, a Basic IT etc.. all buzz words and bull, i got 75% on that. The other was Installing SBS 2003, configuring, and monitoring etc.. that was not so easy, the course took me nearly two hours to literally flick through, and covered such things as configuring distribution groups, security groups, POP3 connections, Share point services, OWA, fax and mobile devices etc. Not such a walk in the park for a complete noob, but i managed to get 80% in the test and as i said i just flicked through each page (which you have to in order to complete the exam).

From what i could tell, the Action Pack now does have Vista Ultimate in it and the reason that the Action Pack is preferable to a Technet subscription is that you get *10 licenses* for the client applications and OSs for use in your own company, internally of course (cant be used for hosting a public web site). From what i can see the Technet offering only has one license per peice of software, which isnt much use if you have multiple clients, ie a network.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. BosonMichael

You get 10 licenses with TechNet as well. You don't get 10 keys... you get 10 uses of one key. Same with the Action Pack... one key, 10 installations.