Anybody done a training with ukittraining??? Really Urgent

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by benjamin, Jun 12, 2005.

1. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Oh the horror! :eek:

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  2. Oldtricks

Oldtricks New Member

Like Trainee, I have trained with UKIT and agree with what he says. The trainers varied from average to excellent but, from talking to other students, it was clear that the subject matter covered varied from course to course and teacher to teacher. As everyone I talked on the course spent loads of their own time reading the books and information from web sites before taking the exams you may as well do what Boyce does and self study. That's what I am doing now and it saves waiting two to three weeks for the next UKIT course to run.

If you do go down the route of selecting a support provider why not choose one that is a Microsoft partner? At least you will have the reassurance that if something goes wrong you have a known entity that can investigate any failings.

3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

dream on! Microsoft partner is meaningless, and I should hope the students spend time studying after the course, thats why they get courseware at training courses you know.. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

On this I must agree with Clyde. IMO "Microsoft Partner" is a useless piece of over-hyped marketing. It doesn't mean a thing from what I've seen. I studied with a "Microsoft Partner" training provider that openly sent their students to braindump sites. Their trainers had little to no real world experience and the last one I saw from there wasn't even Comptia A+ certified. She knew so little she couldn't diagnose even the smallest computer problem. She would call on the students who actually knew something to do all the troubleshooting that needed to be done.

She pronounced SQL as "squeal" rather than "sequel" and she claimed to have 10 years experience in the IT industry and at least half that experience working with relational databases. It was an absolute joke.

I listened to her try to explain how subnetting works and she didn't have a clue. All she could do was read the book. She and all the other instructors taught subnetting by giving everyone a table on a sheet of paper that had Class A, B, and C address ranges in it. They couldn't actually do any binary "anding" to figure things out and tried to cover up their weakness by telling people that VLSM wasn't important and wouldn't be used very much.

Anyone who relies on "Microsoft Partner" meaning anything is probably going to be sorely disappointed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

:eek: :hahaha

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  6. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

I was chatting about this to one of the guys I called about voluntary experience, any employer will be alot more impressed if you've got the qualifications off your own back i.e. buying a book, going for the exam and then passing it. Shows dedication initiative, self motivation, shall I go on? :biggrin

Certifications: None!
    WIP: A+, 70-270
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I would disagree on that one. I don't think emplyers all think the same way on the issue. It all depends on the individual

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree, this means nothing. They become a Microsoft partner if they employ a Microsoft certified person and then pay Microsoft a large wad so that they can use the logo.

I am a Microsoft partner myself but I can't advertise the fact unless I become a *Gold* partner or whatever and that costs a lot of money.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

10. Connectivity

Connectivity Bit Poster

Its a shame because there really are some good training providers out there that do offer a good service.

Has anyone got any positive feedback?

Some companies like to play on your hopes of getting into work too much, but often people are too susceptible to a pressured sales environment.

There are plenty of training providers that will guarantee you anything to sign up, make sure you visit at least 4-5 different training companies, talk to students, ask to sit in on a class for a few hours, find out the names of companies that they have recruited for, do some research!

You wouldn’t buy a car for £5k ++ without test driving it!!

11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Now, I gotta admit that it is hilarious that this woman would pronounce SQL the way she did. I laughed out loud and told her it was pretty funny the first time she did it because I thought she was joking. It wasn't until she got mad at my laughter and walked off saying "I guess it's a chick thing" that I realized she was serious. I'd been told by the instructor she was replacing that she had 10 years experience and she said the same thing....

However, as funny as that is she was supposed to be teaching MCSE, A+, N+, CCNA, a Novell which they advertised as CNE which wasn't as it was only a single exam, and 70-228 was a part of the MCSE course. That isn't funny because that company was charging people a whole lot of money to attend their courses.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. sanjuro

sanjuro New Member

Admin Edit: (J) Duplicate post removed.

13. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Just a quick point really - I would watch what you are doing with the career development loan route as i got took for £4,000 cause my (ahem) course provider went into liquidation. I ended up with no course, a solicitors bill and i still ended up paying the loan cause Barclays wanted their money and weren't bothered what was happening with the training provider! I'm not saying don't go for it i'm just saying be careful!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  14. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

yup, the lender doesn't guarantee to stomach the loan if the learning provider keels over. Fair enough really...

15. helencik

helencik New Member

Hi!...
    My situation is the same. I've got interview with ukittraing on Thursday, and yesterday they phoned me to tell I passed and they take me for training. But I decided to find some information about them. And this forum is one of my disappointed searching.

What did you decided?Did you take this course?
    You were looking for somebody who had got training for them, what was the result?
    I would like to find anybody who didn't pass there aptitude test?I think there will be noone!!!If you or your friend had interview with ukittraining and they said you or him/her "We don't take you for training", please write me....

My situation is that I'm not an English, I'm from Belarus. I am studying at home in University on System analysis and Computer Mathematics. And in England it is very hard for me to find something to start. I want IT job in my future! And this courses could help me a lot if what they say is true.

Maybe someone can give me a good advice to make a right desicion???Please :oops:
    Also I would like to know about the similar companies but who doesn't take money before start. If you know a good one give me please its web-adress.

Thank you very much....
    Waiting for response.

16. helencik

helencik New Member

so..... did you take that course from UK it training???if yes, how did you like it?If no, why?The main reason???

17. Chip

Chip New Member

I would not recommend undertaking training with UKIT

At the interview they will make it sound like they are doing you a favour and make you want to sign up. But be warned.

The job guarantee is only available if you sign up to the full MCSE course from the outset. I have spoken with lots of people who were told that the job is guarenteed if you just take MCSA (at £3000.00) but THIS IS NOT TRUE. You must pay the full £5,800.00 up front if you want the job guarantee.

The course is extremely difficult to complete within the time you are given. You must complete ECDL, A+, Network+, Windows XP, Windows Server, Windows server network environment, Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure and Windows 2000 Directory Services Design within 12 months to qualify for the 4 remaining courses which you then have 6 months to complete. An average wait for a course seems to be about 6 weeks (in my case it has been longer on several occasions, and be warned that the 'part time' courses get scheuled even less often). Add to that 1 or 2 weeks actually doing the course and then add to that at least 2 or 3 weeks self study after the course to prepare for each exam and add several weeks (or at least 3) at the start to do the ECDL and you arrive at well over 12 months.

This training can only be completed in time if you are extremely dedicated and can take each exam within about a week at most 2 after each module. Even then you will need some luck with the scheduling of courses. They only schedule a course when they have enough people ready to run one. The problem is that after the first module or 2 loads of people drop out and thus you end up waiting for people to catch you up. One trainer said that only roughly 25% of people you get past the A+ course actually finish the training, which of course means that some people drop out even before that!

The problem is that you sign a contract agreeing to everything and do not have a leg to stand on. If you go over your 12 months they want £350.00, £210.00 or £450.00 per module extra thereafter depending on the module. Again most people assume that if they have paid the full £5,800.00 they will get the extra 6 months/4 modules for MCSE that I mentioned above. This is not the case. Even though you think you have paid for them the way the contract is worded you have in fact paid for the first lot of modules and the rest are 'free' if and only if you complete the first set of modules within the 12 months. So yes you can basically end up paying for modules you never get to take.

18. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

actually when i went there for an "interview" they were very clear that the job guarantee was valid only upon completion of both "parts".

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

One would presume that you did actual read the contract in order to understand just what you were agreeing to ? It's easy to come on a public board and bemoan not getting what you paid for, but all too many Members, upon a little questioning, never quite seem to have made themselves aware of the full facts. Please don't take my response the wrong way, but as a public Forum, we have a liablity to both students and training providers, in terms of a legal standpoint.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. Chip

Chip New Member

Was having a bit of a winge and have now amended my post to try and make it more informative and less defamatory.

As to the contract yes I did read it before signing it and at the time it sounded reasonable. However having never undertaken IT trianing before I did not realise how much self study would be necessary after each taught module before I would be able to pass an exam. I also did not realise that the modules would be scheduled at the upper ends of the time limits set out in the contract. I had them telling me it could be completed in half the time no problem and trusted that this was correct