Any tips or advice?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by J.Hinds, Dec 10, 2010.

1. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Ok, so I've just started studying for this and only have a limited amount of time to pass both exams. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? :blink

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No Tricks sorry but if you have the MS press books just make sure you know all the concepts inside. What I would suggest is practice practice practice. Download virtual pc or vmware (choice is upto you) and install the copy of XP SP2 that you get with both MCDST books. setup a few user accounts and have a play about without any worry of doing anything bad to your physical setup.

I myself did this but I also downloaded a trial version of server 2003 along with a few copies of XP aswell as the one that comes with the press book. I linked them alltogether as if it was a real network, setup multiple users with various permissions and ofcourse a full on admin acount on the dc. This let me do all sorts of things from file transfers to denying privileges and resetting user paswords etc.

Have a mess about and get a good practice exam from transcender, preplogic or measure up and when you think your upto speed see how you get on in the practice exam. See what your weak areas are brushup if needed then take the exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

sorry to go off topic slightly, but GBL, had you any issues with setting up your virtual lab?

I am hoping to do the same early next year to get MCDST done and dusted. What kind of desktop setup did you use, RAM, hard drive etc?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No I had no issues at all really, my setup is the one in my sig.

I used virtual pc with mine, setup 5 virtual hard drives one with win2k3, 4 xp pros. At first I had 6 VHDs and the last setup was ubuntu but I couldn't get the dc to see it or it to interact on the network. The rest was fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Cheers for the info Mr Lee, think I shall set up a new system tomorrow.. but for now time to get my head back in the books!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  6. chojin

chojin New Member

The best way imho to ready up for an exam is follow the CBT Nuggets for that exam (If available ofcourse)

It will cost you about 15 hours which gives you about 80% of the knowledge needed for the exam.

Next, I would say grab a test-exam, not for learning the exam, but to test your knowledge and especially see which topics you are great in, and which you are weak in.

Study your weak points by grabbing the questions you failed to answer correctly and study those topics until you know why the answer is the answer.

This way you can 'race' through your study without cheating.. and know in detail what you are talking about.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP, CCSA, MCSE
    WIP: CCIP
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why would it not be available? It's listed right on their Web site... :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. chojin

chojin New Member

I didn't checked their site :), but as you state.. its listed on their site, so it is available....

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP, CCSA, MCSE
    WIP: CCIP