Another role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Dec 18, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So today I went for an interview,in which I felt I did quite well. The test was on simple things with phones, a mac and a normal laptop. I did go blank when they asked me how to do a screenshot in the mac and said, I am very rusty on macs as I used them in my old place but we havent got any where I am now, i would probably look that up on google. That answer seemed to be welcomed to be fair?

So this role is a definate 1st line support role, i cant believe the difference in salary compared to what I am doing now, seeing as where I am now I often do 2nd line support and some 3rd line support within the dept. I think I may have a chance of getting it but I find out on Friday.

If I get it I am wondering what my boss will do/say, will he want to lose me? No, will he be stubborn if I get into a negotiating position? Yes.

I suppose I should wait and see then take it from there

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

I hope this 1st line position is offering much more money than your current job. The last thing you want is to job hop between IT support jobs which I know a lot of people do.

Maybe you will get a counter offer but is it really worth it? Could be false promises and things won't change. There must be a reason why you want to leave that place.

What will you be doing in this potential opportunity and what kind of company is it?

Good luck mate.

JK2447 and BosonMichael like this.
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Once you have decided to switch roles and have a job offer in writing, put in notice with your current employer... then stick to your decision. Try to decline offers to try to keep you. In many (but not all) instances, your current employer is simply trying to keep you to maintain stability until they can find someone to replace you. And even if they don't get rid of you, the non-monetary problems will still remain.

What nisseki mentions is certainly valid - you don't want to build up a reputation of being a job hopper. However, good techs DO tend to move on from time to time. The best salary increases I have received have been because I switched employers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
    JK2447 likes this.
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

The job is a lot more than where I am now, its a 3.5 raise now to 7.5 k when I reach the top end of that scale. Sure there is a bit of travelling involved but I have travelled a lot further so that doesnt bother me. If I had my way I woudnt leave where I am now as I do get to do a lot more than 1st line but I feel if I stay where I am I will not get the extra money which I am worth.

There are 2 techies in our dept however I am the one doing the legwork and the boss is either not bothered or just doesnt have a clue in what I actually do. Basically i am moving from one education institution to another (if I get the offer).

I recently had my appraisal where I outlined what I wanted to achieve, the response from my boss was would you teach any of this to students, which I replied well thats not my role and the training i am looking towards would benefit the dept in other ways. I was somewhat underwhelmed with his response.

If I get a counter offer from my boss I know I would consider it but everything would have to be in writing. I also know that if I leave they wont have the flexibility or skill that I have, I am way more advanced than the other techie in our dept, as well as that he is a clock in and clock out type of person.

I will wait to see what happens but I am also going to seek advice from a few other people.

Cheers for the advice guys

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You always need to leave for good reasons, and sometimes we don't... I know in the past I left because I was not happy, but I never really communicated my issues to my bosses, so I learned to do so. If you have anything that is bother you, before you go out looking for a new job, it is sometimes better to communicate with your boss first, try and see if you can get different responsibilities which can come with a raise, depending on the situation.

If you look for a job and not say anything to your current boss, that's where the counter offer might make it hard to leave, you need to know for a fact that there's nothing at the company you're at before making the move and receiving another offer, it will help down the road, especially if you decide to stay and disappoint the other company, they'll remember you and that might even burn your bridge down the road, just be careful and evaluate your current situation carefully,

I only speak from experience and the bad choices I made in the past.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    JK2447 likes this.
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im at the point where I think “go where the money is” and loyalty to company/boss/colleagues just dont come into it anymore.. F the lot of ‘em.

dmarsh likes this.
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yessss, yesssssss!! come to the dark side....

[​IMG]

Jaron78 likes this.
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

First thing is you need to be offered the job and then you have options.

I have been in the same position as you before and now I manage a team of engineers so now I get to influence pay and peoples role in the company.

Looking at the job you have applied for is it something you would like to do not taking into account your current job? If the answer is yes then that is a good thing. Do not use a potential new job as a bargaining tool if you are not prepared to take it.

If you do have a conversation with your boss then what exactly do you want to achieve? Do you want more money? Training? New job title? Be clear on this before any meeting as sometimes these conversations can run and run without anyone being happy with the outcome.

This response slightly concerns me – it looks like your boss was wanting you to pass on your knowledge but you have decided that’s not your role. That may have been a misunderstanding but perhaps look at this again.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

I will be honest, Ive never negotiated when leaving a role.
    Reason being thus: I am leaving that role because there is something there I don't like. Be it the work ethic in the team, the lack of opportunity, direction the company is going.

99.9% of the time, I am happy with the move I have made. Don't get me wrong, my previous employer could offer me more money, but the underlying issues will still be there. They could make me promises, but then go back on them.

Its totally your call mate, but for me, if I am, looking for a new role, then something must be wrong at the current job for me to want to leave in the first place.

dmarsh likes this.