another joke topic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kobem, Dec 23, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

if i kill myself i will relax . Why ? because stupid questions don't leave me.....

just another one:

i said i had a graphics card chipset was nvidia geforce 6800 xt 128 MB ......

its default(initial) clock settings :

memory clock : 700MHz
    core clock : 300 MHz

while playing witcher i would the game performance become better then i overclocked by increasing
    these two (above) to 332 MHz and 770 MHz but i didn't take any cooling equipment.

naturally game performance became higher ....
    BUT i only changed clock speeds not the speed of buses among them.

1- so that if didn't change speed of buses , why would the game get better in the case of performance?

( although working frequency rises , carrier speed among them is same so I Didn't NOT FIGURE OUT
    WHY SPEED OF THE GAME INCREASED)

2- you know 32-bit and 64-bit processors ... i wish asking that if CPU is 64-bit , does this mean
    your FSB(front side bus) bandwidth doubled ?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hi Kobem you are right to question things and sometimes it does show that you are at least thinking about stuff which is good !

I'm not an expert on hardware but i'll do my best.

I'm not sure how bus controllers work exactly but I'd expect their speed to be linked in some way to the speed of the memory and processor, so I'd expect that you probably have altered the bus speed. A faster processor can carry on work faster independantly of the bus/memory as many instructions require multiple clock cycles so a speedup could occur from just the CPU overclocking in theory, but in practice i don't think you'd notice much. Tuning a PC is like tuning a car, the best speedup occurs by improving the worst component or the component causing a bottleneck. CPU's are so fast nowadays that generally its likely to be IO bound not compute bound which means the speed of the memory or disk is probably biggest factor in overal performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...+architecture&sig=U5Wkz7fTP2d2jFOq4eXqW7dmiA4

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ynman&dq=theory+of+computation+feynman&pgis=1

The design/architecture of the computer determines these things, generally 32 bit means CPU has 32 bit registers, can fetch 32 bit data (System Word / Data bus) and has a 32 bit address range (Address Bus). Similary with a 64 bit computer. However this does not have to be the case, the data and address buses can be implemented differently if more or less performance is required, or cheaper alternatives are available etc. Sometimes the address bus is smaller say 16 bits on a 32 bit processor or even 32 bit processors with 8 bit data and address buses, its all down to the design.

You should try to read more as people have mentioned, you have lots of questions which is good, but very little knowledge or understanding, go back and learn some physics, play with a soldering iron, make some circuits, see how they work. Think about the computer as a collection of transistors/gates/chips etc. Learn how these chips work, learn what a semiconductor is etc, learn what sampling/digitisation is, what a waveform is etc.