Another interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Nov 14, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So im still waiting to hear about the role I went for on Tuesday, I reckon ill know by next week if ive got it or not, or if im getting a second interview.

Now i have just put down the phone to someone else offering me an interview, for next week which im chuffed about. But im thinking and this may sound daft, should i email the the company who interviewed me this Tuesday just gone and say if you are planning on a second interview date, i wont be available on the following Tuesday as i have another interview coming up??

Or should i forget this as its a bad idea and the company will think im playing mind games??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good stuff!

In regards to calling the other company, I would hold off, if they call you, just say give them your availability then.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

Even when you do give your availability I wouldn't say its because you've got another interview.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I normally say i have an interview if i have. If they are that keen on you they will be quicker to get back to you.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  5. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

I informed them I had an interview for a similar position as they already know I'm looking for work.

I had the 2nd interview today and accepted the job within a week of the first interview so I don't think it hurt me in anyway. The first company will contact you for a second interview and should arrange it at your convenience (my experience).

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do not tell the first company you have an interview with another company.

I interviewed a guy today and the first thing he told me was that he had a couple of offers on the table. I didn’t add any offers to the “table”

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ha ha, 20 quid says he was trying that one on, surely if hed had offers on the table he would of taken one?? Mines not an offer just an interview and I dare say ill take the first one that comes along, although my preferred choice at the mo, is from the first interview, just got that good feel etc

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. Sparky

It did sound that way to me :)

In your case it is an interview but you want to give the first company the impression that you really want the job and don’t talk about other interviews etc. as it might put them off - also gives the impression that you are not committed to the job you are applying for.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

I can see where Sparky is coming from, if he worded it differently would you of maybe offered him the position? Just interested to know.

I just thought it was best to be honest but I wouldn't disclose offers myself.....hopefully because the first offer would of came from the role I really wanted and would of already accepted it..

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  10. Sparky

He wasn’t the right guy for the job anyway. If he said all the right things after that I might have made him an offer but as there are other candidates I didn’t need to think about it for too long.

It didn’t show enough commitment to the job we were offering and it is a big deal for us when we recruit someone as we are a relatively small company and we need to get more contracts in to justify expanding the IT side of the business.