Amin Khan

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by amin1khan, Oct 10, 2007.

1. amin1khan

amin1khan New Member

I am Amin Khan,I live in Sunderland, England by profession i am chemical engineer and i am studying for my masters degree in Engineering Management, i am interested in achieving CCNA and beyond. I have great interest in desigening chemical plants so alot of instrumentation and networking is done in desigening those plants so its my 1st step twords. I am hoping people here will help me regarding achieving my goals.

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Erm well CCNA is going to do you no good as a chemical engineer, unless I'm mistaken, even if they're maybe some networking involved. You would be better going for network+ to get the basics of networking and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not sure the level of expertise you'd need in networking to integrate into chemical plant design. I agree with Wizard that the CCNA (and beyond) might not be too useful. A related cert, the CCDA has a focus on design elements so maybe that would help. Here's the information:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le4/learning_certification_type_home.html

The CCDA itself might not be incredibly relevant but it might be the first step on the road to giving you the skill sets you are looking for.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well theres SCADA and PC based systems about. Theres also alot of non-PC based equipment around, and while open standards are taking off and are a good thing theres many existing non-PC/internet standards around. For example fieldbus is one network protocol that most PC network engineers would know nothing about. Theres also application level protocols like Modbus.

I'd look into control and instrumentation in general, it does look like various flavours of Ethernet are gradually taking over so the Cisco stuff might be worth a look in order to learn about Ethernet and TCP/IP in general, the actual devices however in your industry will likely be different, as with most things you are likely to have to start at the bottom, in my experience also most people had an electronics background.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)