Am I ready

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Dexter, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Hi guys. Need a little advice.

So I've read through the MS press book for 271 and got on quite well. I did the end of chapter questions and scored 93%. I did all the questions in the back of the book the "part 2 - prepare for the exam" bit and scored 86%. So feeling rather pleased with myself I started to think about booking the exam but before I did it I thought i'd do an exam from the Readiness review suite on the CD. Ouch!! 66%....Fail. Hmmm not so encouraging. I did another 69%..hmm ..not much better. I found the questions far tougher and in depth than those from in the book which I breezed through.

So I don't really know what to do. Judging by the Readiness review questions on the CD I need to lock myself in a room for a month or two learning almost every menu in XP!!! What do you guys think. Should I book the exam (I was thinking early next week) or are the CD questions a good indicator of the real level of difficulty of the 271 and I need more time???

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I actually failed too by similar scores the reddiness was much harder than the real thing imo

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Sounds fine,i stopped doing practice tests long before i sat the exam,i was scoring 60% or less at times,but i still passed the exam first time.

I didn't read a book to study for the exam,and i didn't do practice exams from the book.

All i used for the entire mcdst was a lab manual,i did all the exercises in the manual,and i watched a few nuggets [videos] i gave up with practice questions early on.

In other words you have put a lot more practice in than me,and your studying is way beyond what i did.
    I put a lot of effort into the A+ ,but i found the mcdst boring.

The main thing is understanding the questions,if you can manage that you should be fine.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Book the exam with a Second Shot.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

This - As it entitles you to a free shot at the exam if you fail.

In addition, the readiness review questions (imo) were much more difficult than the actual exam.

Just book it! From the looks of it you'll do fine :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Thanks for the responses guys.

Frustratingly I forgot about easter which is putting me back another week but I'll be sitting the exam asap.
    Hopefully you'll see another "I passed" thread soon :D

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Best wishes and give it your best shot:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Hi guys. Just a quick update .......You were right!! I sat my exam yesterday and passed with a 783. Maybe not the most impressive score the forum has ever seen but what do I care....I got my MCP adn thats the main thing. Thanks again for your advice and encouragement. Now for some time off :juggle

9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Nice one

i am going over some more of 272 before i sit the 271, i hope to sit both within a week or two of each other.

I had a bit of a hold up with prometric and microsoft because i am current registered with a disability, which is all sorted now. However, i can no longer book online which is a bit annoying.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hey a pass is a pass, regardless of the score. Congrats :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats! I passed with a 749 last week, but I'm not complaining.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done mate, a pass is a pass and your now a member of the MCP club!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

I really hated the readiness practice exams, the practice exams are a lot harder than the real thing, as has been said already. I passed the 271 exam comfortably and failed the readiness practice exams everytime i took them.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291