Am I just getting old...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Then yes, Zeb, you're getting old :p

In all seriousness, if you like Bill Bailey and the humour in QI, then I'm surprised you don't like Black Books.

I think, unfortunately, this whole debate revolves around that most unwholesome of things: the matter of taste.

My own personal standpoint on comedy was forged as a young child. I was spoonfed programs like Blackadder, Desmonds (Jamaican hairdresser... come on!) Ab Fab, Bottom, the Young Ones... I became a sarcastic, fop haired rebellious youngster. Well, deep down inside I did, anyway.

I think my favouritism for sarcasm helps me to love programmes like Green Wing. I personally think most sketch shows on nowadays are complete and utter tosh. I never thought I'd ever say it, but Channel 4 became my safe haven.

Now you, Zeb, are possibly more of a sensible sort. I can't tell you what to like, but I can prod you in the direction of some, and if you haven't tried Black Books, then please give it a go.

Otherwise I'll keep poking you in the eye with Warhammer :rolleyes: :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

theres only two shows on the bbc that i watch, one is neighbours and the other is Jekyll both not comedies.

I may watch QI or Buzzcocks if i hyave nothin better to do

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I think your right Zeb the sitcoms of now are a hell of a lot worse than the sitcoms of 10 to 20 years ago or even older!
    In recent years i can only think of a few that i would watch repeatedly, one being Black Books! but most are total tosh.

The same goes for the comedians, catherine tate, jimmy carr, russel brand etc are no where near as funny as the old greats, But i think part of that is because the tatses of teh younger generation hav changed a lot from the tastes of "our years" and these comedians cater to them, not us.

of course in everycase there are a few exceptions, like Bill bailey. I reckon he's great (being from the west country me sen like) Qi is a good laugh. And then back in my day, ididnt like Bernard Manning or Jim davidson. But on the whole i would prefer comedy from yesteryear than from today...

Bring back Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Frank Carson, Farty Towels, Rising Damp etc............ Sigh.

(btw i have to admit i like Jethro for some reason... with is mate Denzel Pemberthy and what 'append wos....)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Dont you lot think that comedy on TV is ruineed because of political correctness?

I mean Love thy neighbour wouldnt get shown today if it was new because it would be banned for fear of insighting racial hatred.

Its funny also that comedy shows that used to have white people painted as black people never get shown any more, you ll see plenty of repeated carry on films but hardly ever the ones where the main cast are playing Indians and such like.

If people cant laugh at themselves and give in to political correctness then what have you got.

Take it at my nephews school you dont call it a black board anymore its a chalk board, what is this world coming to?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Blackadder, Desmonds, The Young Ones...

Sometimes kid, I reckon you and me were separated at birth - yet at others... :biggrin

I've tried Black Books - I love Bill Bailey, always have done but, maybe because I don't find Dylan Moran even remotely funny, its never struck a chord with me.

I'm probably even more sarcastic than you - but can't stand David Baddiel (God of sarcasm). I never found 'The IT Crowd' funny either - go figure! :biggrin

Here's a quick 'either or' for you:

Faith No More or the Chili Peppers
    Jack Dee or Ross Noble
    Getting Drunk or Watching Other People Getting Drunk
    House or Six Feet Under
    Catherine Tate - Funny or Not Funny

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Arroryn

Hmmm....

the Chili Peppers
    Jack Dee
    Watching Other People Getting Drunk
    Six Feet Under
    Catherine Tate - Not Funny (the only exception being the cheerleader sketch)

7. Arroryn

Okay, I was thinking about this thread last night in my hotel, as I yearned for an internet connection, but loathed paying the £5 for an hour, or £9 for a day they charge you. I did browse quickly on my phone, but then realised I would be skinned alive by charges :)

But ya, I was thinking about this thread, and all the 'bits' from my fave shows that I think provides a good argument for modern comedy.

So here's The Modern Comedy Defence Committee Arrangement Thing(TM)

Bill Bailey - from his Part Troll standup

Blackadder - how I got a lot of my history knowledge :p

Sue White - the mad staff liason from Green Wing

And again though you probably have to watch the series to fully get this one. Still love it, though.

Black Books

Smack the Pony (brace yourself)

Catherine Tate - cheerleader sketch

Harry Enfield and Chums

Look Around You - Germs

I could go on. But I have to do some work. Catch y'all later. Now get laughing!

8. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well for me the evenings are usually spent with young children and later more IT study.

Most of the older funny's have been mentioned:

BlackAdder etc
    Goodies
    Benny Hill
    Dave Allen
    Monty Python
    Man about the house
    George and Mildred

These are okay and good standard comedies...but no longer on air.

Then there is the sci-fi stuff like Doctor Who and Blake's Seven.

The period action flicks like Danger UXB and other several period pieces, plus standard fare like the early series of the Bill.

However the modern stuff is - apart from some parts of the Office - totally off the pace....

[rant on] :biggrin :blink

It's as if they are mixing suspense with comedy...total rubbish, and it has gone from harmless chewing gum for the mind to television content with a darker and more unsavourary content.

{Remember your mind is the product of what you put in it...}

On a general note - what we have in Australia these days is all the CSI based and Hospital based suspense and overwrought scripted melodrama....plus Lost dribbage and BB rubbish.

Also it looks like some of these CSI type script writers are now writing for standard soaps like Neighbours....they are effectively changing the rating from "g" to "Pg" to "m" with a series of mature plot developments involving violent or melodramatic acts - totally unsatisfactory for anyone with young kids.

How do you explain to a four year old and a seven year old that the contents and even ads for these newer programs is "make believe"..?? - my wife and I have sat up with distraught kids at well past bedtime on more than one occasion because a TV station cannot manage their viewing content in an ethical and professional manner.

Basically the stations should be allowed to advertise this stuff during kid's TV time.

Also if they are "bracket creeping" their program classifications they need to be brought up short.

I would like to see the BB, Lost , CSI, and Hospital stuff beyond the 9:30 am timeslot. The 6pm to 9:30 timeslot is NEWS, Current Affairs [both still not okay for kids - but for different reasons], Nature, History and Travel Documentarys, and quality PG rated family friendly comedy [say some of the older comedies re-run]

The television networks should be aware that over half their market have never even seen the early quality shows mentioned above.

[/rant off]

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  9. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Problem is, like with music when you get a bit older you see/hear patterns in TV and music that you have heard before. Yes, it still may be good but you have heard it before.

For example the 'cringe with the character' comedy was both awesome and awful with Alan Partridge but its the same kettle of fish with Extras and Peep show. However I'm a fan of both these programs but can't help feel they have re invented Alan Partridges wheel.

Catchphrase humour is just plain lazy IMHO, (come on down mrs tate, mr Bo' and your ilk) saying that I did enjoy the fast show a few years back, would I be 'Bovered' about another series? I doubt it.

If I could switch the picky part of my brain off for 30mins or so I would probably enjoy more TV.

A sure sign I'm turning into a pompous **** is that I thoroughly enjoy Have I got news for you:biggrin

You have to admit, British comedy raised the bar considerably in the 70’s and 80’s with shows such as monty pythons flying circus, Young Ones, Blackader and the like. That’s a hard gig to better.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  10. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for posting those you tube links, I have seen a lot of Bill Baileys stuff but his take on cockney music had passed me by.

Its a must...

check it out

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA