aloha!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by kesom, Mar 7, 2010.

1. kesom

kesom New Member

hello everyone,firstly may i say what a great site and a very welcomed find for me,after a read through some of the threads and a look at the positive vibe by all the members i decided to join up :D

i'm a 31 year old formwork carpenter i have no qualifications in IT what so ever and have been recently let down by birmingham uni to train for the ccna there as their funding dried up......................so i'm gonna chance the training myself and sit the exam :ohmy

any advice or direction would be much appreciated :D

K

2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi

Welcome to CF :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. kevndcks

kevndcks Bit Poster

Hello Kesom,

Welcome to the certforum!

I would stay away from doing the CCNA certification with out at least 12-months network engineering experience in IT and if you plan on using the experience to apply for CCNA role jobs.

If you have a desire to complete CCNA for the knowledge, then keep focused and keep at it until you get to the exam day and have completed any prep books/ network simulators and the like 8).

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. graphics

graphics Nibble Poster

Welcome

WIP: CCNA
  8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums. As has already been mentioned, I think you'd be better off not trying to take the CCNA exam. If you do have some networking knowledge gained through your classes, you'd be much better off taking the Network+. In my experience, very few companies (at least none that I'd want to work for) would hire someone with zero professional experience to manage their Cisco equipment.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll definitely agree with the previous advice regarding holding off on the CCNA at this point in your career... it doesn't relate to entry-level tech work in the slightest.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. kesom

kesom New Member

thanks for the quick replies,as i said i have no real experience in this field but i would really like to get into it
    i think i shall have to re-think my plans :rolleyes:
    i should probably start with the A+ and go from there,thanks again for all ye'r advice :D

ken

11. kevndcks

kevndcks Bit Poster

If you do go further in the Network+ cert, and if you read the Sybex books - it does have a good few pages on Cisco in regards to routing protocols, Cisco commands and some other small information. So you still get to try out with Cisco technology.