Ah, sweet nostalgia

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's not IT related. And I shouldn't buy it. But I want to so badly.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/PROD/3-/570637/Trap_Door_Series_1_2/Product.html

There are so many DVDs now that'll help me regress to childhood - Wacky Races, Bucky O Hare, and I already own Tom & Jerry collection.

So, above are the cartoons that made me tick as a young 'un. How about anyone else?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Dont you open that Trap Door!! :p

The cartoon Battle of the Planets has to be the best, closely followed by He-man, Thundercats, abd Mask Crusaders:D

Oh Happy Days.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Is it sad to own up to having bought the Trapdoor dvd last year?? I got it for my kids honest!

I was always a fan of Dangermouse and its spin off Count Duckula. I can remeber watching Jayce and the wheeled warriors and ullessys31 as well.... Dont make em like that any more..

Any one remeber Chorlton and the wheelies??? "Allo lil ol' lady".

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Does anyone remember Bod? He was top, totally pointless.

Thundercats, Knightmare and Button Moon all the way for me

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Arroryn

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

LOL. Nostalgia means different things to different people. For my money, Jonny Quest (original version) was the best action cartoon ever made. I did give in to temptation and buy an older British TV series (only ran two seasons, though) about The Invisible Man. It's dated of course, but still good fun and the special effects aren't bad considering what they had to work with back then. It was made in the late 50s but didn't make it to my side of the pond until the mid 60s. I only remember bits and pieces of the show and it was interesting watching it again as an adult. Ah...the good ol' days. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Moomins for me baby!

Closely followed by Dogtanian, Willy Fog....and one that my older sister made me watch - "Fraggle Rock" "Chase your tears away (Clap Clap) ready for another day....

...and hey wasn't there "Ulysees" with a small robot?

On that subject, anyone remember the books: "Ant and Bee", "The Garden Gang", "Meg and Mog", "The Hungry Caterpillar" or "Where's Walley"?........

Ah back in the day.....:oops:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  9. Arroryn

I remember Meg and Molly and the Hungry Caterpillar, distinctly when I was 3 or 4 and learning to read. Also the legendary 'Biff and Chip' series :p

[​IMG]

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Excellent - that's the one!!

11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Funnily enough my lil girl is reading "Biff and Chip" books at school now! No sign of Meg and Mog or the Hungry Caterpillar yet.

How about janet and John books? Can remeber reading all of those when i was younger.

Yes there was a lil red robot in Ulysees and a talking space ship!!

Also watched Fraggle Rock, l liked Gobbo! also watching the Muppets now with my kids lol

12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

LOL - so you get the chance to re-live your childhood allover again - jealous!!! :biggrin

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL

'Ulysses 31' - I remember it well. With his little robot 'Nono'

By Christ there was some crap around in the 80s. Anyone remember 'Battle Of The Planets', or 'The Mysterious Cities Of Gold' or (whisper it quietly, devotees won't hear a word against it) Dogtanian?

Amazing that anyone who grew up in the 80s managed to achieve anything approaching a semblance of normalcy with the tosh we used to watch.

14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I used ta love Battle of the Planets.. it was also called soemthing else like ZOLTAN! with all the voices red dubbed to make a differnet story from the originals.

Dogtanian was ok but not special...

And on Saturdays there was always "TERROHAWKS" with Windsor Davies as the Ball robot Sargent!!!

Is it any wonder i've grown up warped and strange??

15. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

As i said in my earlier post,Battle of the planets for me was THE best. :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I grew up watching The Wooden Tops and Andy Pandy :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

LOL, I loved just about every 80's cartoon mentioned so far. I think I must have watched a lot of TV as a kid because I remember some of these way better than my friends. Some of them are still wheeled out on the digital cartoon channels every now and again. I bought a DVD collection a couple of years ago with Willo' The Wisp, Dangermouse, Duckula, Chorlton and the Wheelies and Jamie and the Magic Torch. Class. Of course, the greatest was Transformers. I gaze longingly at the DVD box set every time I'm in HMV. Maybe one day...

As for books, I just dug out all my old kids books from my Mum's attic for my little 'un. The Hungary Caterpillar, Beatrix Potter, Mr. Men, Wind in the Willows...They don't make them like they used to.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Transformers passed me by. I'm just a tiny bit too old to have been caught up in it (I think i missed it by about two years).

My brother was absolutely devoted though - him and his mates had all of 'em.

One of his best friends had Optimus Prime and (true story), was going home one day, crossing the road outside my house, and got hit by a car (don't worry, the kid survived). he got tossed, like, 10 feet in the air and came down with a broken leg and broken arm. Ambulance is called, the kid gets wheeled into the back of it and all he can say is 'Where's my Optimus Prime?' (it got knocked out of his hand when he got hit).

Madness - the kid's lying there in what must be absolute agony, and all he can think about is his bloody Transformer!

19. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  20. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Oh dear - I now have to admit having the complete Clangers collection on DVD....

Harry (the sad git)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+