AGP 4x cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rosie1, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Need to replace my graphics card. Don't want to go down the route of starting from scratch at this time, albeit realise that would be sensible. Can anyone recommend a graphics card for an AGP 4x slot, compatible for gaming (eg Battle for Middle Earth, Rome etc).

I currently have Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200. Been advised that cards shown as being 4x/8x compat don't always work in 4x slots.

Any advice much appreciated,

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Maybe have a look here, i would personally try and get hold of the same card your using if its doing the jobs that you need it to.
    http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/cp_111601_filter_interface_agp_4x.html

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Rosie,

Can I ask who advised you that they don't always work in a 4x slot?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would recommend Ati Radeon 9600 Pro (this card from personal experience) or the Ati Radeon 9700 Pro (my mate use to have this card), as both cards outperforms/has more features than the GeForce 4 Ti4600 which is a higher card than your current one. If you get an Ati card, in my opinion just install the drivers and not the catalyst software (but that's just my opinion from past experience).

Hope this helps

-ken

P.S. as for AGP compatibility issues, I believe that you were informed of this. Basically alot of the newer (8x) cards come with a sticker that say's: do not install on a 3.3v AGP slot which is only a 1x/2x agp system.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx. I'll take a look. Do like the current card, but the games are a little more demanding so if there was any way I could improve just to get by for now.

Rgds

Rosie

6. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

It was a local retailer. They'd had some instances where the combined 4x/8x cards wouldn't work in the 4x slots. They suggested not going over GeForce 5 series. This is all new ground to me.

I'd like to think that if cards are being sold stating compatibility that they would have been tested thoroughly!

Rgds

Rosie

7. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx for the advice. I spotted a new ATi 9600 yesterday on ebay as a possibility but wanted to investigate to see if there was a choice. Thx also for the link (which is not familiar to me). The information I've studied previously from a text book, but, as ever, when purchasing for the 1st time, I felt it prudent to take into account what the guy was saying (they build/repair etc) and seek the experiences of others.

Thx again,

Rosie

8. Kitkatninja

No worries, I actually ran the 9600 Pro in a 4x system, then when I upgraded to a M/B with 8x AGP I didn't have to change my graphics card, it was only last year when I upgraded to a PCI-e M/B when I actually changed graphics card back to nvidia.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Thx Ken. Much appreciated. Do you know the pixel shader version on this card as the vendor doesn't know and I can't seem to locate any further info?

Rgds Rosie

10. Kitkatninja

The 9600 Pro uses pixel shader version 2, see here. The 9700 Pro version also uses pixel shader version 2 too.

-Ken

11. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Many thx. Is there any chance a card exists that has pixel shader 3.0 compatible with 4x, or is it more appropriate to later cards?

Rgds

Rosie

12. Kitkatninja

So bascially you want a direct X9 compatible card that can run pixel shader ver 3 on a AGP x4 m/b...

My wife has the ASUS N6600 in her PC, this is based on the nVidia chipset, it's a DirectX 9 card with support for pixel shader ver 3. See here for the general specs.

Please, if you like this card (I do as I sometimes play PC on my wife's PC) do NOT buy the cheaper version as a few people have said that the cheaper versions of this card does not run on 4x AGP. Also you are trying to install a newish card into your old M/B (see here), the graphic's card may work or may not work (this is dependant on your M/B). To be honest if funds are limited you could pay an extra £30 (you can get cheaper) and upgrade your M/B to one that supports AGP 8x, to fully take advantage of the graphic's card.

Anyway hope this helps

-Ken

13. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Big thank you, Ken. It sounds more appropriate, and my apologies for not being more specific from the outset (I'm juggling with studying and trying to sort this out).

So many different aspects to consider with the cards/slots plus a multitude of games both old and new! Anyway, it sounds like I'll need to start from scratch. Thx again for being so supportive.

Rgds

Rosie

14. Kitkatninja

No worries, that's why we're here as a community to help each other out. :)

If you need any more assistance, just ask.

-Ken

15. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Big thank you again.

Rgds

Rosie