Advice on persueing computer programmer career

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Skyblue24, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Skyblue24

Skyblue24 New Member

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and would like some advice reharding how to persue a computer programming career. I do not currently work with computers but I think this is a career I would really enjoy. I have programmed in C/C++ (to a certain point) from books in my spare time. It is something I really enoy and would love to do as a career. The problem is I do not have any IT experience or qualifications at all (I have never worked in IT and the only qualification I have is a Maths GCSE from school). So I do not exactly look great on paper. There is a programming course I would like to do with a firm called Digitech training here is the link http://www.itlearneasy.com/html/database-developer-programming-developer.html

I was wondering if you could tell, judging from my current sitcuation - no qualifications or experience and being nearly 25 years of age, do you think it would be worth taking this course to try and get my foot in the door and start a programming career? It looks a very in depth course and full of qualifications. With names like Microsoft on them I am sure employers would value them and from researching the website this firm offer support 24 hrs a day and provide full materials. My concern is if I take a course like this it will still be very hard because of competition with people who have experience and Computer Science degrees.

Do you think passing this course would help me get a career as a programmer?

2. doorhandle

doorhandle New Member

How u getting on with job hunt Skyblue24 ???????? I am in a similar boat and seeking a career change.....

3. miyashiro

miyashiro New Member

Hey, i just wonder if u want to be a real programmer or a IT business guy?
    I have no idea to be a business guy.
    but if u want to be a programmer,.....:) ok, under the premise that the only way to be a programmer is to code.