advice needed on friends behalf..

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dublad, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Oh, and d is exactly one of the people I was just talking about (she is Dutch) and has buckets of good stuff in her head. Maybe you shouldn't insult people by saying they have a problem reading your illegible idiot-speak until you know the full facts.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

ROFLMAO@Baba m8 ur underestimating us oldies if u fink we dunno wot u r typing.

Personally, I just think it is better to articulate using proper English on BBS's and not l33t speak :wink:

Or to put it more eloquently - horses for courses my son :twisted:

Oh and it's *there are* not *their are*
    http://suzyred.com/there.html

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. dublad

dublad Bit Poster

well i cant spell!!!does that make me dumb,and it may be easier for me to use shorthand.and i am not insulting people,how am i know to know that somebody is ie dutch german or not.its just a habbit,and ur right sometimes it gets me also i will try stop but when you do it for so ling its kinda hard to kick urself back into touch.i will try though.but i dont like people jumoping onmy back for something this sinister.no hard feelings though.

darren.

Certifications: ecdl moxp
    WIP: a+ n+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Darren, nobody is saying you are dumb, to be honest, I was a terrible speller until I met Michele, my latest and greatest model of wife. She is pedantic with spelling and she encouraged me to improve and I believe I have over the last 15 years.

You will find, that in order to succeed in any office based career or especially in IT, that communication skills are of paramount importance. Being able to communicate professionally in writing is as important as understanding DNS. You would be doing yourself a big favour to practice these skills here and on other forums, so that you can use them in the real world, where it matters!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Baba O'Riley

Thanks Pete, I did know that but it was nearly midnight and I had been driving all day so please forgive this one little slip.

Well done for being one of the old fellas that can understand txt speak but not all of them can, I'm sure.

As for what you say about being able to communicate properly, spot on there. In this day of spell checkers and what-not, there's no excuse for sloppy spellling and grammar in typed documents.

@Dublad - I wasn't insulting you for your spelling or for being dumb. No hard feelings m8 :wink: .

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It's all too easy to get the wrong impression when reading these threads.

I'm not sure if it's because we scan the message or just don't understand what the reply to the thread is about?

Maybe...?? I wouldn't have to appologise so much because people misunderstand me, then again how do know if a person is joking or being serious!

:hhhmmm maybe what that other member said about being a Quiet member would be better!

I've signed up to other IT forums and yet CF is the only place were people take the pizz out of me!

Monkey :blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Monkey - it is hard to know whether people are being serious or joking when typing on this forum, email, texting, the other thinking people can really do is to add smilies, or say "im joking"...

Why be quiet? if your going to be a silent member, then who we going to take the piss out of? :biggrin not me i hope! :rolleyes:

8. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

WTF !!!!

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

This is brilliant!
    I was getting a bit bored with arguments about training providers being evil, braindumps being bad and Microsoft wanting to eat our children... But a spelling and grammar thread, excellent!
    It's a welcome relief.

Maybe it should have a dedicated area on the forum, somewhere below MOS?

Seriously though, when I was at the OU we did quite a bit on netiquette. The problem is that these things are constantly changing. The Interweb is such a developing place that I suspect in a few years time 133t will have taken over and none of us old timers will understand anything.

I take that as a case for trying to keep 'proper' English alive. It doesn't take long. Shorten a a four letter word to two letters? Does that really give you more free time to do other things?
    I suppose not.

By the way, if I've made any spelling or grammatical errors in my post, please everyone point them out to me. I love that!

:dry :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Baba O'Riley

Sorry Jonny, I searched and searched but I couldn't see anything wrong. However, I am the first to admit that my speeling and grammer is not perfect as it could be. :)

Exellent post by the way. Make no mistake, although I'm not fluent in l33t, I recognise its value for those who are unable to conduct a verbal conversation and instead, must develop RSI by texting all day as an eight year-old girl recently did in the UK. Of course, according to the mother, texting is obviously very bad, there was, of course, no mention of the (lack of?) parental resposibilty of allowing it to happen. Especially as the girl has had a mobile since she was four years old as I recall.

Seriously though, it can be useful in gaming etc. but when typing with a full keyboard and no pressure on time or space, I just don't see the point.

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<cough> Grammar

:biggrin

Harry (running away like mad, and I assumed the other was deliberate...)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey, can we get a pop at stammerers as well on the Thread ? Seems it's lost its sense of proportion on pretty much everything else !!! :biggrin

<Please note: correct usage of it's and its - I demand points !!! 8) >

EDIT edit: Oops - no I didn't. I'm in for it now .....:oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. Baba O'Riley

When you come back Harry, may I refer you to the definition of irony. It does not mean "made of iron". :D

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah well.....

<giggle>

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If I could just gently nudge your keyboards in the general direction of back on topic then we won't have to close the thread.

Maybe someone would like to start a general spelling, punctuation and grammar thread in the lounge forum? Then everyone can rant as much as they want without it getting too personal.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. dublad

dublad Bit Poster

Quote:
    “ Originally Posted by Baba O'Riley
    Sorry Jonny, I searched and searched but I couldn't see anything wrong. However, I am the first to admit that my speeling and grammer is not perfect as it could be.
    ”

and its spelling (not speeling) ha ha. well you said if we spot and i did.

ps am only kidding by the way. :biggrin

Certifications: ecdl moxp
    WIP: a+ n+