[Advice Needed] Cancelling Scheidegger/Skills Train

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by INDYvidual, Jun 6, 2006.

1. INDYvidual

INDYvidual New Member

Early this year I signed up with Skills Train (CIW – Website Design Manager), and for the past few months I’ve been unemployed which has made paying for the course difficult.

I never anticipated this when I originally signed up for the course, and I really have no choice but to cancel the course [although I do still want to pursue a career in Graphic Design]

I understand that the Terms & Conditions state that I would have seven days from signing the contract to cancel. But I am wondering if it would still be possible to cancel the course? In the contract it states:

“You have the right to cancel if you received unsatisfactory goods or services paid for under this agreement you may have a right to sue the supplier, us or both”

Another reason I want to cancel is because of the outdated course material. The software they will be providing me with is FrontPage 2000 and Dreamweaver 3 which are both totally outdated (and which are unsatisfactory goods).

If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it, thank you.

WIP: Certified Internet Webmaster
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i think that sooo many months down the line, its going to be hard for you to cancel, if they gave the resources early this year then i doubt you have a case, however, if the resources were given a few days ago, then you could probably tell them you want updated material...

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is there anything mentioned in the contract about what versions of software you would receive, or what versions that the study material would be based on?

As much as I hate to say it, I think that you may struggle to get anywhere because they have met the requirements by providing you with software and resources, the fact that they are no longer the latest versions may not come into it because unless the contract specifically says 'this course uses the latest version' they have provided you with the goods and services that you signed up for.

8)

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You could always talk to them and ask if you could defer payments, if you don't ask and all that.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

and frontpage 2000 is unsuitable for learning how to build websites because ? ? ?

:rolleyes:

You signed a contract and unfortunately you're stuck with the consequences. Sorry...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Frontpage 2000 and Dreamweaver 3 would make it version 4 CIW. This is the current version and therefore the material is relevant.

Version 4 exams retire at the end of June, however, when they will be replaced by v5. The software taught in this is FrontPage 2003 and Dreamweaver MX 2004.

You could always try contacting the training provider and asking what they propose to do about this and see where you get. All the info is on the ciwcertified website, but I suspect that your training provider may be unaware of it...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. DJDave

DJDave Bit Poster

Says in my folder I get Studio MX.

WIP: CIW
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

When?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As stated if it said in the small print that you would be using a particular version of the software then you *may* have a case. Just for the record do you think all web design companies use the latest software? They don’t.

I don’t think you will have a case for cancelling. If you had bought a car for example would you take it back to the dealer and ask for your money back? I doubt it.

Best of luck with the job search. I’ve been there before when I was made redundant but another job is just around the corner! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your job. I would speak to your provider and see what they can do to help.
    Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. DJDave

DJDave Bit Poster

Got a bit of Card in my case and you send it off when you are up to stage 4 I think, and it says Studio MX.

WIP: CIW