Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by andygt, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Hi all, im also doing my course with advent at the mo im doing the MCDST as i passed the A+, before i started the course i had a long chat to my gf about what i wanted from this course as i have no comp exp at all ( only had my own comp for 18 mths) so everything is new to me. I have been on 2 of there workshops and they were informative and you also meet others on same course, i am happy with most aspects of advent apart from the 97% job rate, my reason for this this is i have some job offers sent to me of which i am completly unable to apply for, all of them required you to have some sort of previous exp at some level. I have even tried to apply for a volunteers position and the company still wanted at least a years exp....:(

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im with them aswell mate. Totally agree with what your saying about the jobs, ive completed my MCDST and havent had any job offers yet, so i just do my own searches. The workshops have been ok so far, did you get Kam teaching ya?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Yes Kam has done both the workshops I've been on so far, I always like to do the workshops mainly to check that what I've done to date and see what I can remember, because that gives me a little boost and shows me that I am learning:D

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
  4. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

glad you mentioned that mat how annoying is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. you get an e-mail entitled job vacancies, only to find out you need to be bill gates him self and be willing to relocate to ghoa!!. ive not even got my A+ yet so i havnt got cat in hells chance of getting anything. not too pleased with the volunteering news tho, i was giong to try that out next week, if i cant even do that im screwed

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  5. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

i had kam, hes cool but "guess what" doesnt he say " guess what" a lot.

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  6. Pirate

Pirate New Member

Hi all

For what it's worth I used to be a senior manager with Computeach. When CT hit its bad patch last year, I and many of my tutorial team left the company. The ones that left were in all honesty some of the better trainers because they had the skills to sell elsewhere.

I moved away from IT Training but Advent snapped up a number of my people. If the rest of Advent's tutorial staff are as good as those, you should have no fear about the quality of the training.

Having said that, studying with any of the distance learning companies is not an easy (or cheap) option and you will have to be prepared to put your social life on hold for a couple of years if you want to be successful.

Good luck with your studies.

Pirate

Certifications: MBA MSP DMS DipInfSys A+ N+ ITIL Prince2
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yeah thats right, if im not mistaken, Kam used to work for computeach.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. bobbyboyyy

bobbyboyyy New Member

I have recently enrolled in Advent Training (MCSE) (Feb 07) I spend many months considering whether the cost would be worth it and whether I could commit to doing the course with a full time job and family. (I decided it was). I am at the intro stage, which is painstakingly slow and lonely. Its early days I know but if I didn't knuckle down to it, it's hard to know who would push you along, in my case it's normally my partner saying 'Get on with it', bless her. Without her I find it difficult to get motivated. I was hoping that Advent would contact me from time to time to push me along. Maybe it's a little early for that. In the meantime I'm now committed and this site is a great help.
    Many thanks

9. bastun73

bastun73 New Member

prezesmarks I need to speak with You by polish about the advent. my e-mail is [email protected]

10. Prezesmaks

Prezesmaks Bit Poster

There you go dude. [email protected]
    Ask as many questions as you`re able to think of.
    Oh and gg 1995342

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+ --> MCSE
  11. derekjw

derekjw New Member

Hi, I'm also considering whether signing up with Advent is a good idea. Had a visit on Thursday afternoon from a guy who wanted me to sign up soon and who said that he'd be surprised if I wasn't working within 6 months of starting.

I have no IT background per se, but I have a language degree and a PGCE so my brain does work, but I had a car accident and ensuing brain injury 7 years ago, and I'm looking to get back into employment. I'm confident in using any Windows platform from '97 to XP but other than that and copious amounts of email and web browsing have no IT experience.

Do you guys think that I have a hope of getting anywhere with Advent?

Thanks, Derek

Certifications: None
    WIP: None
  12. chopper777

chopper777 Bit Poster

Hi
    I too signed up for advent etc, where i went wrong was that when the books came through in one go, word, excel, outlook and power point i started to work my way through them one by one pge by page which took forever. i then found out that i could take the exams locally at my local college, so what i have done is concentrated on doing the DCC testing exams that are on the disks that you have had sent you. that is what i did and then passed the word 2003, hoorah.

college is closed now till september so i am concentrating on the next 2 exams at the same time.

if you need anymore help dont hestitate to contact me as i wouldnt want anyone else to suffer how i have with this course.

if advent advised how it all worked in the beginning i wouldnt have felt so dissilusioned as i have.

chopper

Certifications: WORD 2003
    WIP: MCDST-
  13. Sid351

Sid351 New Member

Hi guys, I'm currently a student of Advents.

I'm working towards MCSE, but atm I'm doing A+ Essentials.

They're based in Hagley, which is just to the South West of Birmingham, and the facility is fairly smart.

Obviously trudging through the work load on your own can be a bit demoralising, but the workshop was fairly through.

Other than the sales guy coming round and discussing it, me receiving my books, and the workshop (and occasional recruitment email) I've not had a whole bunch of contact with them, but I'm happy.

14. Ereos

Ereos New Member

Im living in Southampton had some guy who goes to your house from advent talkin about why you wanna work with advent on wednesday
    well wasnt persuasive and had a nice formal and informal chat.... majority was him speaking
    shocked of the price for a course he recommended me since he was explaining about the course of being a System Administrator in achieving a MCSA
    to be honest im not too sure about all this im kinda new to it
    wondering anyone could like tell me about the MCSA and wether Advent is trustworthy lookin at the previous posts - i still find myself unable to like come to a conclusion of advent...
    the SA course the salesman said would take about 1yr and a half with the crazy price of £4450... which did amaze me for like woah but he did explain how i could pay it back and after 4months for the first examination that i will be elegible for work if i pass and also how exams will be paid ...etc but he was like you are not gauranteed a job straight away but you end up with one and over a few months you can either pay back the sum of the course in full or a section of it bit by bit overtime.... seems really fair
    to be honest the interview seemed fair as he also talked about the business and the situation of work needs and so on in the IT industry
    but when i had an interview anothe rman came who was supervising the salesman in his work so it kinda seemed professional in a sense

sorry for such a long post but basically i cut it down to these few questions
    Is there a future if you sign with MCSA?
    Guaranteed a job??
    And is MCSA a certification that pretty known widely and acceptable in most jobs???
    Is being a SA a good job or is there anything else someone should recommend me???

15. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

Top man is Kam, Im with Advent, im now on my MCDST (path to MCSE) after doing the compTIA A+ , I find Advent to be really good for me, the mentors are on hand to answer any email queries on the course and the dinner time Buffet also isnt half bad lol.
    I started my first It job as an Assistant Systems Adminastor at the begining of October, A job that Kam sent the details of the vacancy to me and arranged my first interview date and time. This is the side i like of Advent also, with out the careers (kam) doing his bit I doubt I would of heard of this Job, even if I had i'm not sure if Id of applied without the man on the phone telling me I could do it and everything would be okay. Here I am today , posting this from my desk at my IT job, Living the Dream!! lol
    SO yeah after my ramblings for my Advent have worked out a top choice as they have got me into the career I want.

Is there a future if you sign with MCSA?
    YES but you need to work hard and understand what you are learning, no brain dumps true learn by learning method.

Guaranteed a job??
    Nope as if you fluff interviews then no employeer will take you on, Advent do give good interview tip advise. The qualification will though will get you a chance at a job, as you wont get a job with out the quals, saying that though, get into the career soon as possible, work from the bottom up or companies may still be concerned employing somebody who only has "theroy experience" at mcsa level

And is MCSA a certification that pretty known widely and acceptable in most jobs???
    Yep its a microsoft qualifaction.
    Is being a SA a good job or is there anything else someone should recommend me??? depends what you want

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
  16. GoatBoy

GoatBoy New Member

Hi everyone,

I had a visit from an Advent rep today and things went pretty much the same as most poeple described on here. The guy seemed very keen to get me on the course but I'm hesitant to spend 4k plus on a training program.

Here's the thing, I already have a BTEC ND in ICT systems support but I cant get an IT job for love nor money. I'm prepared to go in at the bottom and work my way up too. The only hands on experience I had was working for the college I went to in their IT department and it was only for three months. So as far as job experience goes I haven't had much, thats were I was hoping Advent could help me. Actually completing the course should be fairly easy for me (not to brag or anything) because of my college work.

What I'd really like to know is, are my chances of getting a job going to be better if I do this course?

17. Fresh_Mint

Fresh_Mint New Member

I would say yes. an MCSE will help you get a job in IT. I've working in IT for 8 years and not having an MCSE is holding me back from getting where I want to be on the salary level now. It's as if it's expected for higher end jobs so I'm now out to get one.

Certifications: None
  18. ibrator

ibrator New Member

Hi Im with Advent Computer Training.

I training with them for the MCSE qualification. I've just passed my comptia a+ essentials exam just before christmas. I've passed but heres how I did it. I learnt from the answers in the training exams, it's not memorising answers but how the information was presented was more to the point and precise and easy to remember. Every question had an answer but with explanation and why the other answers were wrong.

And not 60% of the answers were learnt from the 1000page door stop they provided.
    I thought it was a waste of money and time but I've fell for the trap so I have to
    live with it I guess but I tackle this course another way.

Like many people has said study yourself it's the cheapest method, but it'll also look good on your cv or at interviews as it shows commitment and determination.

But I do admit their workshops were good and they give you tools and equipment to take home, but thats because we've paid for it lol. Ask plenty of questions to get the most out of them. The mentoring service is crap, they're impolite but thats because half the time I was complaining about spelling mistakes and how crap their written material was. Sometimes they help and give good explanations to problems but it looks copy and pasted from others pages/sites.

-ibrator

19. kerrsey1008

kerrsey1008 New Member

I've saved up £3K and was looking to invest my money on an IT course. I have spoken to Computeach and Advent Training who advised me to go for the MSCE as i'm looking to move to OZ in the near and they said Australia is crying out or qualified people (which is what i wanted to hear so were they just saying that). Advent training was £4750 and computeach is £500 more for the same course and exams. But must people seem to advise self learning! So know i'm more cunfused then ever :-(

how long would you say it takes to complete CompTIA A+ and the CompTIA Network+ doing it yourself?

I also read that the isn't a need for IT people as much as what the training providers say there is by a long shot would you agree?

Certifications: N.V.Q Engineering, GNVQ IT systems
    WIP: MSCE
  20. leo kitty69

leo kitty69 New Member

I had a advent training advisor come over last week and he made it sound brilliant,probably get me a job as a web designer after 6months,I was shocked by the price which is what's putting me off. after reading all the comments on advent, I'm now not so sure on advent. One of my concerns was that they could turn round and not give me any money back if they don't find me a job. Which apparently is after 15 attempts of getting a trainee a job. I haven't got much knowledge on IT apart from basic word and excel and Photoshop. I'm in limbo at the moment what to do, one side says don't waste your money, the other side said this could be a good career opportunity to do something I would enjoy. eeek! :helpread