Advent Training & MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by paul.hugill, Oct 4, 2007.

1. paul.hugill

paul.hugill New Member

Hi Guys,
    First time here. I need a bit of advice.
    At the moment I dont have any IT qualifications even though I have been playing around with them for years and consider I know a fair amount.

I have been looking at doing a course with Advent Training which ultimately leads to MCSE but goes through A+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA to get there. The course in total costs £4750 and includes resits and tutor support if needed. They will also help me get a job after the first few months/passing the MCDST cert so that I will be getting experience whilst studying for the MCSE.

So, How much cheaper would it be (roughly) to do them serperately?

Also has anyone had any experience with Advent or know anyone who has? Are they any good?

Any thoughts would me greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Paul

Certifications: None
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If you don't have any certifications I suggest you start with the A+, then followed by the N+ then the MCSE and forget about going with a training provider, all can be done via self study and will save you a lot of money.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

There are plenty of threads on here about Advent and training providers.

Also most people on here would advocate self study i.e buy the books yourself and learn that way.

4 odd grand for all that is too much when you could just buy the stuff your self.

Also be aware that you shouldn't go for MCSE etc unless you have experience, if you manage to get that cert without any experience then you will find it harder to get a job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. paul.hugill

paul.hugill New Member

Thanks for the advice. I think the self study route sounds like everyone seems to think is the best way. definately looks cheaper.

To do it the self study way do you basically just buy books, work your way through them and then when you feel confident take the exam with prometric?

Certifications: None
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yup - just that. :biggrin That's how I got my certs.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, that's how... read through books until I'm ready. You can also buy practice exams if you want to see if you're ready for the real thing. With the money you'll save on classroom training, you'd be able to afford them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with the self study. Plus you got this community to help you out with the studies. So if you ever get stuck just ask.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. william1970

william1970 New Member

Hi to all.

Don't post very often. But here's my two cents worth:

AVOID AVOID AVOID training providers. I went with one and they ripped me off loads. The support I had was lousy and I am still not working in IT, even though I now have a lot of experience.

I'm now working towards an IT degree with the OU. Sure, it will take me 5 years, but they are excellent!

And I'm considering self-study, starting with the A+ exams. Yes. Listen to the wise 'uns in here. Self study is best. The providers want your cash and dont care about YOU. Only YOU care about YOU. Furthermore, what many of them don't tell you is that you have to travel to their facilities to take the exams! You want to take any exams as close to home as possible.

Good luck and warm regards, too all.:twisted:

9. greenbrucelee

good advice mate :D

10. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

First i must say that self study is an option, seccond its a lot lot cheaper.

but not all training centers are bad. ok there expencive, and you do most of your study at home. but some people need a good KITA (Kick In The Arse) now those who do are people like me, i will start off and start learning something, then i will grasp the concept then go onto something different, so by going with a training vendor i have had a constant push to keep moving and to pass some exams.

im supposed to be revising for 70-291, but im also looking at the material for the CEH exam and 70-294.

it really depends what you are like when you study. adn how much time you have,.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And, how much money you are prepared to *risk*.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. greenbrucelee

Seems to me some people have more money than they know what to do with.

And also I think some people are under the illusion as I was when I was at university which is : I will get an IT job and it will pay me loads so financial burden does not worry me.

I learned the hard way.

13. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Here another thought on it........

I did self study A+, N+, MCDST, Vista upgrade MCITP -Est paid for these myself
    got paid time off to take MCDST , EST though.

My boss said "Kev we have some money in the training budget fancy doing a XP training course......"
    answer.... "done that got the cert".

My boss then said "fancy doing a Vista training course......"
    answer.... "done that got the cert".

My boss then said ok smart arse what f**k do you wanna do?
    answer "Server course like 291"

Answer from Boss 3 weeks later ....."Arsehole find one & book it"

The point is once you have got A+ etc you are likely to get an IT job 8)

Most IT depts have training budgets......:wink:

My certs so far about £700 inc books & exam fees :ohmy

My employer then pays for my MCSE... Following me so far?

£700 - £4500 = I'll leave you to do the maths :eek:

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  14. greenbrucelee

Good Move Spilly :D

15. chopper777

chopper777 Bit Poster

Yes i signed up with Advent and at first i thought oh my god what have i done and was totally at a loss as to what the hell i was supposed to be doing.

but then i saw the light after sending a moaning email to advent they came back with loads and loads of support.

within a few weeks i had passed the first exa, taking another one tomorrow (11/10/07) wish me luck guys, and i can do it at my local college who are being very accomodating and really helpful (thanks to Wendy).

i know myself that if i had not signed up i would have purchased the books on my own and done nothing with them, this way the thought of the £4500.00 coming out of the bank keeps me focused.

you need to do what motivates you, but whatever path you choose all the best with it.

kindest regards

keith

Certifications: WORD 2003
    WIP: MCDST-
  16. greenbrucelee

Good luck with your exam

I just could and wouldn't part with that amount of money if I knew all I had to do was spend 80 quid on a few books and learn it myself.

I thought I was being ripped off when I was gonna get charged £350 for A+ course but I saw the light.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Keith 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you want, I'll give you a good KITA for far less than a training provider will charge you. :twisted: You'll get the same benefit, and you'll save money! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. Conductor71

Conductor71 New Member

As a professional of 20+ years plus (checking out Advent because a colleague has signed up) my best advice is to avoid all learning providers because they're a rip off. You're simply handing over 4-5k for course learning material that you could have got for free anyway. In addition to that, they make unrealistic promises about your job prospects once you have completed the course. Yeah, the average wage for web designer might well be 40k, but we're talking about remunerations for experienced people here. Despite all they will say, it is not easy for anyone without experience to get a job in IT, regardless of qualifications.

Please take my advice! Self learn! Then, when you're confident with your knowledge and skills, look for ways to get some genuine experience before you start posting your resumes, even if that means working for free.

Experience is everything!

Good luck.

20. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Paul. Firstly if you don't mind me asking, are you clear of any existing finance? If not, I'd not recommend this course whatsoever, as they usually tend to be 36-42 Months of paying through direct debit, or other methods, and it's a long time.

I got Skilltrain quoting me for a MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator) course for £3000+, but like you I would have to do the A+ first, followed by the N+ before doing the MCSA, and they also claimed they would help find me work through many of the IT companies they have partnership with and have sent 'graduates' to before.. What they wont tell you is that the jobs are pretty much level entry.... They do make it sound really good, and talk it over, but it's a huge commitment, and they don't care if your car requires a new exhaust system to pass it's MOT, they don't care if your Virgin or Sky bill is extremly high that month, they only care about getting your money, and making you "pass". They don't even care if you learn and soak in the knowledge, they just want you to "pass". They'll even advise doing questions and reverting back to the appropriate guide to any wrong answers you had. That's not developing knowledge at all, it's simply memorising certain questions and briefly touching the surface of the topics they include.

I would strongly suggest, as people (without even reading the replys) have probably said already.. Do your A+ first with self study by buying the Mike Meyers All in One guide (sixth edition) study it, and take the exams. Typical cost for the course:

CompTIA A+

Book: £25
    Stationary: £10 (book for taking notes, pens, calculator)
    Spare PC: £40 (off EBay)
    Equipment: £30 (multimetre, & basic PC tool kit)
    Exam part 1: £115
    Exam part 2: £115

Total: £335 or £565 if you fail both A+ tests first time

But that's miles better because You decide on how much money you put into materials, and course work, and You have the real flexibility (and not 12 months like most training provider courses - 36 if 2/3 courses)

Then once you've done that, you do N+ self study, and you already have some equipment, so the cost of this will be cheaper. Basically A+ & N+ can be done self study, and maybe some Microsoft cert which requires 6 tests to pass sometimes, would benefit having re-sit value and so on, but not the a+ & n+
    Training providers are good for people with 2 credentials
    1) Who have plenty of money
    2) who have plenty of time (IE: part time worker, or mother who has children in nursery during the day, or some other type) esepcially to take advantage of tutoring, and seminar type classroom experiences

Right now, my schedule is 6 hours a week approx, due to me working full time and having a 2 year old, and even some weeks are dry with reading

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+