ADVENT COMPUTER TRAINING WARNING !!!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by markcarty, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I think what he was getting at is that your effort is almost certain to amount to nothing. If it does amount of something, then that is fantastic. But until then, what are you going to do? you're not getting justice, no one is being castigated because of this whole thing. The only person being effected by this is you in reality. Do you want to keep crusading and hoping to reach the holy land? or would you rather get on with the job at hand regardless and if you get the end result with regards to the money then that's great.

What he is saying quite simply is carry on with your studying anyway. The course materials are not outrageously expensive. Ebay the books, ask on here but your only going to come off even worse from this mess if you don't man up and get on with the task at hand regardless.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ever heard of Amazon ? 1000 page hardback computer books go for £25 delivered, thats the bargain of the century, books used to be priceless artifacts guarded by monks.

The advent 'course materials' are probably not as good as half the books you can buy off the shelf.

Then there is all the free material on the web. Its up to you how you react to this, don't choose to be a victim and let Advent control your learning and future. Sure try to get what you're owed through the proper channels, but don't stew on it, ensure you keep learning anyway.

Knowledge is power, don't give people or companies like Advent power over you.

So MCSE 7 exams, plus A+, N+, MCDST, thats about 10 books or £250.

You don't need £250 though, just buy the first book for £25 and get going. Eat the Elephant one bite at a time.

Take control of your own learning, decide to be the master of your own destiny !

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Western Kings and Dmarsh - yep pretty much that exactly. The costs of the books are £20 - £30 just looking on Amaon, if you are really bothered hunt round on ebay or look in the for sale section here there are often people giving them away or atleast for very little cost.

What I am trying to say is, you cant change what happened with Advent - you can control what happens now.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

There's a brand new copy of the MCDST 70-271 for sale at a Very Reasonable £20 + postage in the For Sale thread :D

I also have some A+ books i could let go for a small sum too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

administrators are appointed. Read more here.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Classic. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

what a lovely title!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Ratty

Ratty New Member

I rang the administrator people the other day and was told that they're in talks with other IT training companies who are interested in buying Advent as a going concern.

Now they could just be trying to keep everybody calm and playing for time, but it did sound promising.

I've also rang Barclays a few times, who are definitely talking cr*p as they tell me something different every time I ring them. They said that I should have received a letter from a Wilma Thompson in Customer Relations, but nothing has arrived...Has anyone here received anything from Barclays at all?

I shall be ringing them again tomorrow to demand that they freeze my dd payments too.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

dude, you owe them money regardless of wether your getting your training or not. I doubt very much they will be nice and stop your direct debits. It is a bank they are in the business of making money from money they are not nice people who will let you off the hook because you took a loan from them to pay for a service you are not receiving.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Tru dis. It's NOT a good idea to just cancel a DD without contacting the finance company and telling them why. Surely by now you've spoken to the CAB about your situation? You need to get independent advice, so you don't end up even more f***ed than you already are.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Ratty

Ratty New Member

I know I owe them money, I'm not stupid, the reason I said I would ring them and ask for my dd to be frozen was because another poster here had done exactly that and Barclays agreed. Sorry, can't remember who the poster was but they said that Barclays had agreed to freeze the payments until another TP was found, I think it was a couple of pages back.

zebulebu, I haven't cancelled my dd, I wouldn't be that stupid.

12. Ratty

Ratty New Member

Just heard a rumour that Advent are being sold to Computeach, anyone know if this is true or not?

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think words to that effect have been posted somewhere.
    Won't the administrators tell you?

14. Stormhawk

Stormhawk Bit Poster

That was me mate. I called them bout a month ago and asked them to stop the DD as im not going to pay for a service im not getting. and they agreed.. not paid a penny since... just playing the waiting game now...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  15. Gingerdave

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

17. Gingerdave

the article doesnt say, but states

18. mister_T

mister_T New Member

BTW does anyone know of any tutorial sites for learning IT? A friend of mine is learning programming and wanted some useful sites to learn it for cheaper!!

ta

MR T

19. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

This post is serving no useful purpose now therefore I am closing it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong