AD/Roaming Profiles

Discussion in 'Networks' started by flounder10, Sep 29, 2008.

1. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

Our exchange is on a separate server to our main DC. The exchange is our secondary DC in case the other isn't available.

I went to try a few of the solutions on here, and the profiles that had "problems" seem to no longer have these issues. Nothing has changed, but problem has gone.

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

flounder10,

Do you have enough Client Access Licenses (CALs) for all those client operating systems logging into the domain?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

The licensing is not an issue in this case. Seems that this issue can be intermittent. I hate these types of problems :cry:

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

We get this at work quite a bit with our Terminal Server Profiles.

Normally the user hasn't logged off correctly and left their profile copied on to the TS. When this happens i have to trawl through all our terminal servers to find the copy of their profile and then remove it.

Most of the time the old profile can't be used so we have to fix the profile by renaming their original profile to user.old. When they log back in they will get a new profile created because AD can't see that have a profile. You can then copy the relevant bits out of the old profile and paste them in to the new one, eg favourites.

If users have items saved on their desktop this can affect the loading speed of a profile. They don't have to be large documents for this to start making a noticable difference.

It may also be worth scheduling a weekly shut down of your profile server so that the system can reset itself and sort itself out.

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I may have to sort that out. last time i restarted the server it was running for something like 270 days :rolleyes:

Thanks

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not seen a Windows patch in a while then. :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

No, we took a view a little while back that we would disable automatic updates because certain updates would restart the server after installation. One day we lost our DC, Exchange & SQL server all within the same 15 mins. I thought that something major had happened, but automatic updates restarted the server :x

Nothing on the server is "broken" so i, or MS don't need to "fix" anything in that sense.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This can also be caused by a corrupt profile, hence renaming on the server path to ntuser.old can help fix this issue. Please, remember to take a backup copy of the profile before carrying out the above.

It's worked all the time for me:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Sparky

Up to you mate but your server is just waiting to fall over without the latest security patches. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

The server in question gets updated occasionally. This was also part of a management ruling so that the server dont do the same as in the past; restart in the middle of a working day. They have something in their minds and dont change it that easily, despite what they are told from the people in the know.

The other servers get updated every few weeks. Updates that were applied a few weeks ago havent required a restart, hence the long uptime.

I wouldn't have seen this as a problem relating to my original question anyway :)

11. Sparky

Yeah, installing patches is a completely different topic to be honest.

The server would not have restarted in the middle of the day if the ‘management’ had a decent strategy to patch servers correctly. Tell them about ‘patch Tuesday’ and if they don’t have a clue what you are talking about then educate them.

Anyways... :offtopic