1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A+ where to start??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by daku, Aug 23, 2007.

1. daku

daku New Member

hey guys

im thinkin of starting my A+(self study) but dn't really know where to start!:eek:

what materials do i use??
    how long will it take me if i study 3hrs a day??
    how many exams do i take??
    where do i take these exams??
    how much are the exams?? :eek:

2. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hi daku,

It's a bit difficult to say what you need and how long it'll take, because it depends how much prior knowledge you've got.

A good start is to have a look at a couple of books, see which you feel comfortable with, and get a PC that you're happy to take to bits and have a look at the insides. Hands on helped me when I got my A+ 2003.

There are 2 exams to take which are (I think :unsure ) about £100 - £120ish.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Hi daku and welcome to certforums.

you may want to check this rather helpful link:

should answer a lot of your questions. How long it takes you all depends on how you like to study and how quick you learn.

One word of advice, don't rush through the A+ learn the info to be a good tech and not just to get a pass mark. If you learn the A+ material your sure to pass.

For study I would recommend the Mike Mayers all In One book, a cheap junk PC (£20-30 topps) and the interweb.

The A+ forums on these 'ere boards are a good place to hang and chat to others who are studying for this cert, this place on a whole is a massive help for info If you use the forum search feature. This helps me a lot when I want to find something out!!

Best of luck with your studies.:biggrin
    Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  4. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi daku,

The A+ is a great cert if you're just starting out.

The best self-study book on the market is Mike Meyer's All-In-One Exam Guide Sixth Edition:

Once you've read through that book, purchase James Pyle's PC Technician Street Smarts book, it gives you an inside look at the common responsibilities and day-to-day tasks of PC Technicians:

How long it will take you to pass is not something any of us can tell you. Remember, different people learn at different speeds! There is a short guideline at the beginning of Mike Meyer's book, and if memory serves correctly, and the guideline is accurate, a newbie would need about 200hrs of study before he/she is ready to sit the exam.

Exam information can be found on these very forums:

Hope that helps!

Very best of luck with your studies. :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  5. daku

daku New Member

thanks guys. much appreciated :D
  6. maviing

maviing New Member

Hi guys,

Does anyone know a good course provider on training that?