A+ Upgrade 2005??

Discussion in 'A+' started by zimbo, Jul 22, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi guys, i was speaking to a friend tonight and he said something of a comptia A+ 2005 upgrade?? Is this true and if so till when can we do the 2003 objectives? :ohmy

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I haven't heard a thing about it. Both the Network+ and Linux+ have been updated recently. I think the Server+ exam has been too but I don't know anything about an update for the A+.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well is there anyway we could find out? i have sent emails before to comptia on various topics and im still waiting for replies!! I went to a site that provides CD videos for training and they have A+ 2005 objectives? :blink

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've gone to the A+ page at comptia here:

http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx

They are usually very good about publishing any changes to their test objectives. Usually upgrading objectives is a long, drawn out process and involves beta testing being released ahead of the official changes. I don't see any items like that here.

You can click the A+ Objectives item in the menu to the upper left of this page. You'll have to register but it's free. Afterwards, you'll be allowed to download pdfs of the official A+ objectives. Those should be the ones to guide your studies.

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i checked them out too... they usually make an anouncement at the bottom of the page if there is an update up and coming well thats a relief thanks for your confirmation... :biggrin

6. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hey guys, i was jus checking.......there IS an update to the A+ exams. I saw it on Total Seminars home page. The 2005 objectives are gonna be releasing on nov 26th. Im beginning to see that they change the objectives every 2 years. That means I gotta write the exam before nov! :ohmy

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hey neil... thanks for this looks like we have a debate on our hands... i went to keystone.com - do training videos and they the ones with Comptia A+ 2005? Yet Comptia says nothing on their site even about beta 2005! Could you give us a link to the total sem site about this matter? And relax nov is a few months away it usually is at the end of the month so you got about 4 months if its true... im also about to start my SECOND a+ cause i did an in-house one on 2001 obj so you in good company... this site is great so ask anything that bothers you with A+ here!

ps i googled and this seems to come up too:....

http://www.netwind.com/html/a-training.html

third edit: went back to the keystone site... the A+ 2005 as on presale... same exam numbers late 4th Q (??)

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

WOW! They have only just gone to the 2003 objectives :ohmy

Have no fear though as it will be the same basis with some extras maybe a little on security????

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i can easily roll out on the old objectives by Nov... was looking through the book all i need to go through in IRQs, DMAs and THE SCSI list (!!!!!!!!!) otherwise just a little studying and i should have the Core done by end of Sept.. :biggrin

10. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hey guys,

i checked out netwind.com. Yea they mentioned about the 2003-2005 objectives. So that means that the exam objectives will change soon and most likely become HARDER, because new stuff will be added and demanded. Stuff concerning in-depth Windows XP, security and wireless........and prob even more!

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nothing is for certain yet neil and honestly i still think the 2003 obj are valid for a bit longer... it would have been advertised so people like us dont get caught inbetween... have you tried contacting comptia about this? Im going to phone around today and see what response i get otherwise i decided im all set to start up studying today! :D

Let me know is you getting any news :rolleyes:

cheers

12. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Yeah, I myself want the 2003 obj to remain active for a longer time. But the problem is that software companies are selling videos with some so-called "New 2005 obj" and I think its misleading people.

Because I know for a fact that comptia's website says nothing about changing the obj anytime soon. But it would be of great help if you do call around. Because 2001's obj were changed in 2003 and now netwind.com is selling software for alleged "2003-2005 obj" and that totally scares me. Thats what led me to believe that comptia changes their A+ obj every two years. And i did read somn about new obj being released on Nov 26th 2005. So its something worthy to research and look into.

Anyways, make those calls and let us know what the responses are. Cuz i dont plan on taking any chances.........i might as well start doing some real-time studying from tomorrow! :eek:

Over and out!

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

there are three companies that sell training videos that have 2005 A+ namely learnkey, knowledgenet and netwind.com.... so if anyone has any info for this please share!! :biggrin

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

after various emails and phone calls here is what i know:

YES there is an "upgrade" in the making for the A+ - towards the end of the year (Nov 26th?)

The upgrade will have a new pool of questions

More stuff on wireless and Windows 2003 and XP

There is talk of mix and match like the 2001/2003 objectives but no body could confirm...

15. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Good work Zimbo,

my cert was due for that time so i better get a move on! :study

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  16. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the reply, Zimbo! :)

So if I understand correctly, my passing score
    on the hardware exam is only valid until November? :ohmy

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

not quite.... when they rolled over from 2001 to 2003 objectives they allowed a period ( 3 months i think) where people who had done the gone exam in 2001 could do the second in 2003... it remains to be seen if this is allowed... but still guys nothing on the comptia website!! :rolleyes:

18. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thanks alot for the info!!! See? I was right.......there IS an upgrade!

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well neil all this is just info from elsewhere... like someone said no info yet on comptia's site!! But my exam centre (training provider too but since i dont go there to train its not mine! 8)) said she heard of upgrade but not the objectives... the pool of questions was being changed eg more wireless, Windows XP and possibly 2003 but again nothing from comptia... i sent them an email 2 weeks ago and im still waiting so it someone knows a comptia person in the UK get hold of them and ask please ..... :rolleyes:

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My opinion is that even if CompTIA is planning an upgrade, there is no projected date for it going beta yet, let alone going live. Study for the current objectives. You'll end up with your A+ before CompTIA gets around to upgrading the exam.