A job for a woman?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by lovali, May 27, 2007.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Not wishing to circumvent the thread but i had a very memorable interview with IBM once whereby all male IT people were filtered out because they just wanted pretty women for business consultant and secretary positions etc.

Friend of mine was also told he was overqualified for a developer position because he could code ! They said they wanted people with just maths quals.

Discrimination does happen for all sorts of reasons, the point is you will never know if someones going to be fair or not, best you can do is to prepare as well as you can and keep trying.

2. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Personally, I find technical articles on the web are easier to understand if they are written by women (and there are many, many such articles and tutorials). Maybe it could be concluded that women sometimes have the ability to cut through the crap, which to my mind, is actually a benefit.

From the way you describe yourself, I am sure you have the skills to succeed in the IT industry so GO FOR I.T. (oh dear..) and good luck. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Lovali, the supervisor in my new job is female and certainly knows her stuff.

Have the courage of your convictions and never stop believing in yourself!

AW

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642