A+: indepth?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Fanatical, May 18, 2006.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Okay so i' working my way slowly through the Myers all-in-one and finding that there is a ton of stuff I know nothing about (hardly a surprise to me, I know nothing anyways!) but at least I'm grasping the concepts in my butter fingered brain. I then speak to techs at work or browse the net or read a magazine and realise I still don't understand half of whats being said. :blink

So, is it that A+ covers the very bottom line basics (and some of those basics are becoming obsolete) and you have to fill in the rest or am I just thick? :dunce

I just wodner because whilst all the new info is really intersting and is really clueing me up with regards how PC's work sholud I also be furthering my knowledge by reading up other things?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO you should always read around the subject.

However - the A+ *is* a beginner's cert - there is a huge amount of more detail in every section that *could* be read up on. It just won't get asked about in the exam!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

dont forget a A+ tech is supposed to have 6 months experience first of all.. but thats like every cert. Thats why we need to do extra reading and do lots of hands on.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I found that some parts of A+, i have never heard about, although MM has just covered the basics of it, i normally try and read up about that topic, to get more of an understanding, but also i do not want to get "too deep" aswell, as that can either be too confusing and/or it is just not neccessary for the A+...

Like Zimbo said, its viable to have 6 months of experience, if you dont have this, you will need to do more hands on labs...

Hope all goes well with your studies... :thumbleft

5. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Ta Cheek,

I think what I'll do is finsh a chapter and do some reading from t'internet just to "fill in" the bits that A+ doesn't cover. i need to re read the chapters about CPU's and Ram anyways as I need to get all that stuff really set in my head.

God I hope I'm ready for the exam soon, my head'll burst otherwise... :blowingup

6. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

The Meyers book doesn't just touch on 'need to know' details.Much of the information you are required to know is expanded upon with historical and scenario information that put's all these details into perspective for the reader.

It's well worth reading the whole book,including the 'Beyond A+' sections as these chapters give further insight into your studies.

Read the book thoroughly,check the latest objectives from CompTIA and then read the 'test specific' chapters a second time.

ALso remember...Google is your friend.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

A+ is a great course that covers a broad range of topics *lightly*, well recommended :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Have just checked the comptia objectives and now I might cry :cry: .

I don't think I could answer a 3rd of what was on there and there was a lot. I assume some of it overlaps but my god.... I need a beer and a padded room!!

9. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Damn glad I read the objectives again an hour before I set off for my exam and decided to look up APIPA because I hadn't a clue. Paid off for me tho!

Lord Deckard.

WIP: N+ and CCNA
  10. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

You dont actually need 6 months experience do u?

Before i started the A+ i'd done quite a few family/friends/myown PC upgrades and builds from scratch so guess that would count :S

This was when i thought i was pretyt clued up on the PC knowledge! Then i delved into the Mike Meyers book and found out the amount of detail you could learn!!!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  11. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I suggest subscribing to a PC magazine (I don't mean PC Gamer:D)to keep abreast of new developoments. They tend to have indepth articles on subjects covered in the A+, for example, a magazine I subscribe to has a very good article on upgrading a motherboard this month.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  12. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Yea i get Custom pc from time to time :D

Good mag for upgrades - thing is i only tend to read in depth when im planning on upgrading!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  13. Jester

Jester New Member

"objectives from CompTIA"

where can i find these ? anyone have a link?

WIP: A+, N+, (CISCO)CCNA.
  14. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ Network+
  15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Actualy - after filling in the form just click the 'get' button, and you will be able to download it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Jester, if you take a quick gander at the top of the A+ forum you'll see a bunch of pinned posts. One of them has a lot of information and A+ resources. You might want to check it out.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685