A Field Engineer role?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Albert, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

Would the following job ad be beneficial or worse off in developing my IT support career further? Considering I currently work as a T1 adviser for an ISP client in an outsourced call centre. There's no room for progression, not on the technical side anyways as we can only work on what is given by clients.

Trainee IT Technician

Salary £14,000 - £16,000 per annum
    Job Type Contract

Job Description

We are always looking for individuals wishing to find a new challenge in the Field of IT. We are looking for candidates that have little or NO current IT experience or knowledge as full training will be given. Our preference is to find candidates with good interpersonal skills with a can-do attitude

As an (Trainee) IT Technician you will be field based usually covering a 50 mile radius of your home. You will travel to a local Pick up and Drop Off point or PUDO for parts etc. Then out to various customers including Military bases to fix minor faults or install new equipment. The role suits someone ideally looking for a new challenge that has the interpersonal skills and drive to deliver good customer service. The role offers an excellent way to break into the IT industry as further training would be given to those candidates that flourished in the role.

Key Skills

* Good Interpersonal skills
    * Can-do attitude
    * Flexible
    * Can work well on their own autonomy as a part of a larger team
    * Punctual
    * Motivated and determined

Desirable

* Some IT, Telecoms, or Electrical Background
    * Own vehicle
    * Hold or have held SC Clearance or above

Salary and Benefits

If successful at interview initially 1 weeks free practical residential training would be given. Accommodation is not provided unfortunately. The role itself would be Temporary/contract with an estimated salary of £16k per annum with the opportunity to earn overtime. A van may be provided or mileage rate paid. As mentioned above candidates performing particularly well in the role over a 12 month period would be awarded with further training to Network+ level.

2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

If its a security cleared role that indicates to me lots of investment in the person who gets the job.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

If your current role is permanent I'd stay where you are and keep looking. This role sounds OK but in my experience you'll be doing all the physical work and none of the 2nd or 3rd line support, hence the lack of previous experience required.

When you say there are no progression options at your place, have you asked your TL? Surely you have other IT teams or perhaps a more technical version of your current role? The job states possibility of N+ but we can help you study this and pass the exam. Perhaps some home study would give you a boost and increase your chances of getting into 2LS?

**Edit: The above is just my opinion, if you really fancy a change or its that bad where you are now, it does sound like a promising little role

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

You would imagine so but SC doesn't mean you are any better than anyone else and therefore you'll get the same training (or not) as the next guy. SC can open doors for you tho as some jobs require it and I do believe it looks good on your CV. Banks in particular seem to like it even tho they themselves don't require it.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its sounds like you will be driving around in a van doing hardware repairs under warranty.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Are you based in Edinburgh Albert?
    If not, there's an identical role here as well, which would suggest it's a new contract.
    I'm a little confused by the "Residential training, accommodation not provided". So that's just training then??

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sounds like the training that you'll be provided would be the A+ (or something comparable).

I don't know the in's and out's of the role, but what is stated there, it would be beneficial - considering that currently you state that you're not working on the technical side. However questions that you have to consider are...

1. Can you afford to take a pay drop? If you're on a higher salary.
    2. How would you cope if your contract wasn't renewed after the 12 months?

Not really, SC is needed as some work is on military bases. Just like for certain jobs a credit check is required or a CRB is required.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Sprog

Sprog New Member

Albert,

If you enquire about this job then let us know how you got on. I hope I'm wrong and apologies if I am but it might be a trap!

The advert looked familiar, is it this one?
    http://cercoitrecruitment.co.uk/index.php/vacancies

I'm sure most members will recognise the "Cerco" name. They might be advertising this as a dummy job to sell you a course. Cerco use to be a TP as well as a supposedly recruitment company but split the company where the training side is now known as Unique IT Training Ltd.

I saw that advert a long time ago when I was looking into TPs so I don't think it's for a specific vacancy but who knows? They may have clients that are constantly asking for these positions to be filled. That's what they told me anyway.

Good luck!